Front seat back safety latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front seat back safety latch

Before installing my seat belts,I read recent thread on seatbelt installation,someone noted that the bench seat backs can fly forward in an accident as they have no latch or catch mechanism.
    Has anyone found a solution to this problem ?
    I performed search of all past/present threads, but did not find a fix. I believe this will apply to all pre-bucket seat models (?),
    in my case it is for a 57H-C.

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
    Lancaster,CA
    1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Actually Dennis, it applies to all split back Studebaker seats; Bucket, Hawk, Daytona, Avanti...ALL!

I think the only time it becomes really dangerous is when you have a back seat passenger behind you! [:0]

Just another innovation that did not become standard on ordinary affordable Chev, Ford, Plymouths until after Studebaker was gone. Like: intermittent wipers, four way flashers, side view mirrors, day & nite rear view mirror, side marker lights, shoulder harnesses, Stereo Radios, tilt steering, cruise control, power locks etc. etc.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm.... here's a thought. How about a seat belt that has an inertia reel? (late 60's GM possibly) Position the reel portion inside the seat bottom frame in the same manner as it was origianlly. I would think you would have to make a sleeve to guide the belt thru the lower seat frame & the seat back frame, & bolt the male portion securely, inside, to the seat back frame itself. The position of the belt should be in the middle of each side of the seat section, otherwise if anyone (or thing) went forward during an accident, it would hold one side but twist the other.

Like Rich said, you'd only need it if you had a back seat passenger(s) & probably then only if they weren't buckled up themselves. Anything is possible, but a thing like this would require alot of forethought, fabrication & a good pair of hog ring pliers!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
        [Just another innovation that did not become standard on ordinary affordable Chev, Ford, Plymouths until after Studebaker was gone. Like: intermittent wipers, four way flashers, side view mirrors, day & nite rear view mirror, side marker lights, shoulder harnesses, Stereo Radios, tilt steering, cruise control, power locks etc. etc.
        Innovation???!?[B)] It was just another one of those NHTSA (read Ralph Nadar) safety mandates starting in the 1968 model year along with side marker lights, shoulder harnesses, flush mounted dash switches, etc.

Craig

Comment

Thanks to you all for the inputs.
          Already have many other things to fix, so this
          will be removed from my list of "things yet to do to the Hawk " !!

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
          Lancaster,CA
          1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Comment

Working...
          X