MORE Studebaker Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORE Studebaker Plant

Ok since ALL of these photos on this guys site are copywritten, I will not be able to use them on my humble site but I could not let this go unseen by the fans of the Studebaker. The photos are of the inside of the stamping plant in South Bend Indiana. I share because I care. Enjoy them as I have. Let us all know what you think of them.

Randy_G

Fascinating stuff. Thank you for posting those pictures. Kind of sad.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Fascinating stuff. Thank you for posting those pictures. Kind of sad.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

So what is the story behind all of these engines just laying there? These photos were taken in the last six months? And the engines have been there all these years? No. And they don't look like Stude engines in any event. At one time Stude had available the Perkins four cylinder deisel engine and I'm wondering if these could be the Perkins. But I was thinking that the deisel was available (even in the Lark...but very limited) in the very early sixties, before THE END. But as for production of anything in South Bend--through the '64 model year the engine production continued on unchanged with all engines being shipped to Hamilton??? As for the Perkins deisel, I recall seeing one in a Lark at a Stude meeting in the late sixties.

wagone

Comment

So what is the story behind all of these engines just laying there? These photos were taken in the last six months? And the engines have been there all these years? No. And they don't look like Stude engines in any event. At one time Stude had available the Perkins four cylinder deisel engine and I'm wondering if these could be the Perkins. But I was thinking that the deisel was available (even in the Lark...but very limited) in the very early sixties, before THE END. But as for production of anything in South Bend--through the '64 model year the engine production continued on unchanged with all engines being shipped to Hamilton??? As for the Perkins deisel, I recall seeing one in a Lark at a Stude meeting in the late sixties.

wagone

Comment

Does one not think of the footage of the long-submerged "Titanic" when viewing this site? The webmaster has done a great photography job in the old Stamping Plant. Do your self a favor and check out some of the other old spooky building sites he has on his website. Thanks for sharing with us Randy!

Studedude1961
            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Does one not think of the footage of the long-submerged "Titanic" when viewing this site? The webmaster has done a great photography job in the old Stamping Plant. Do your self a favor and check out some of the other old spooky building sites he has on his website. Thanks for sharing with us Randy!

Studedude1961
              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Those engines have nothing to do with Studebaker, they were stored there by a much later tenant. I think they were surplus take outs from something much more recent.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                64 Daytona HT
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti R1/AC
                63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                62 Lark 2 door
                62 GT(parts car)
                60 Lark convert
                60 Hawk
                56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Those engines have nothing to do with Studebaker, they were stored there by a much later tenant. I think they were surplus take outs from something much more recent.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                  64 Daytona HT
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 GT Hawk
                  63 Avanti R1/AC
                  63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  62 GT(parts car)
                  60 Lark convert
                  60 Hawk
                  56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone
                    As for the Perkins deisel, I recall seeing one in a Lark at a Stude meeting in the late sixties.
                    Torrey Kirby had his Lark diesel at the Atlantic Zone Meet last month in WV. In addition, the lone diesel Zip Van was sold at the Asa Hall sale last year.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone
                      As for the Perkins deisel, I recall seeing one in a Lark at a Stude meeting in the late sixties.
                      Torrey Kirby had his Lark diesel at the Atlantic Zone Meet last month in WV. In addition, the lone diesel Zip Van was sold at the Asa Hall sale last year.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Those engines were take outs from AM General military trucks. A few years ago AM General had a contract to rebuild 6X6 trucks. They would strip 2-3 trucks down, and use the best parts(and new parts of course) to end up with 1-2 finished units. If I remember correctly all finished trucks got new engines. South Bend Scrap and Processing must have had the contract for the scrap metal. They had hundreds of those engines sitting outside one of the buildings at their yard, and I think the ones stored at Allied Stamping (Studebaker)were theirs as well.
                        AM General was formerly Kaiser Jeep. KJ bought Studebakers Defense Contracts when the Studebaker left the automotive manufacturing business. AM General lost their defense business in the 80's or 90's to a newly formed company that had never built a vehicle before. Go figure. They did continue building the HumVee at their plant in Mishawaka. The 6X6 trucks were rebuilt in space leased in their former plant on Chippewa Ave. on the south side of South Bend. This is where Studebaker built the Wright Cyclone engines during WW II and then built Millitary trucks after the war. Kaiser Jeep/AM General continued production there untill they left the truck business.
                        Foe what it's worth, AM General also built "Mail Jeeps" and mail trucks for the USPS in the former Studebaker Plant 8 building. And the HumVee is built in the former Rockwell factory. Rockwell supplied bumpers to Studebaker, at least during the Lark era.

R2Andy
                        R2Andrea

Comment

Those engines were take outs from AM General military trucks. A few years ago AM General had a contract to rebuild 6X6 trucks. They would strip 2-3 trucks down, and use the best parts(and new parts of course) to end up with 1-2 finished units. If I remember correctly all finished trucks got new engines. South Bend Scrap and Processing must have had the contract for the scrap metal. They had hundreds of those engines sitting outside one of the buildings at their yard, and I think the ones stored at Allied Stamping (Studebaker)were theirs as well.
                          AM General was formerly Kaiser Jeep. KJ bought Studebakers Defense Contracts when the Studebaker left the automotive manufacturing business. AM General lost their defense business in the 80's or 90's to a newly formed company that had never built a vehicle before. Go figure. They did continue building the HumVee at their plant in Mishawaka. The 6X6 trucks were rebuilt in space leased in their former plant on Chippewa Ave. on the south side of South Bend. This is where Studebaker built the Wright Cyclone engines during WW II and then built Millitary trucks after the war. Kaiser Jeep/AM General continued production there untill they left the truck business.
                          Foe what it's worth, AM General also built "Mail Jeeps" and mail trucks for the USPS in the former Studebaker Plant 8 building. And the HumVee is built in the former Rockwell factory. Rockwell supplied bumpers to Studebaker, at least during the Lark era.

R2Andy
                          R2Andrea

Comment

With regards to Diesel powered Studes, there was a run of '63 Lark Taxis built. They were built as "Demonstraters" and sent to various areas of the country to try and sell the idea to Cab companies. Studebaker Engineering worked on Perkins diesel powered Larks for the '62-'64 model years, as well as Perkins powered Champ trucks.
                            When I was a kid , I found a '63 Lark rotting away in a junk yard. Under the peeling brown paint it was yellow. When I opened the hood, i found a 4 cyl. diesel, and couldn't possibly figure out why someone would have wanted to do that... It wasn't untill years later hat I learned about the Diesel Lark program, and by then the car in the junkyard was long done. The guy at the yard thought the engine went to a farmer to replace the one in his Massey Ferguson tractor. What a shame.

R2Andy
                            R2Andrea

Comment

With regards to Diesel powered Studes, there was a run of '63 Lark Taxis built. They were built as "Demonstraters" and sent to various areas of the country to try and sell the idea to Cab companies. Studebaker Engineering worked on Perkins diesel powered Larks for the '62-'64 model years, as well as Perkins powered Champ trucks.
                              When I was a kid , I found a '63 Lark rotting away in a junk yard. Under the peeling brown paint it was yellow. When I opened the hood, i found a 4 cyl. diesel, and couldn't possibly figure out why someone would have wanted to do that... It wasn't untill years later hat I learned about the Diesel Lark program, and by then the car in the junkyard was long done. The guy at the yard thought the engine went to a farmer to replace the one in his Massey Ferguson tractor. What a shame.

R2Andy
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X