I thought I would "show and tell" what I found over the weekend
    while cruising through Tucson, AZ while on my way to visit some
    cousins in Green Valley, AZ. I'm sure most of us know of Truly Nolen,
    the "pest guy" and His fleet of cars used to advertise, along the
    side of the road. I saw this survivor on Friday and took a couple
    of shots, on the way back through Sunday afternoon. I guess the
    paint color is not "stock".

Above the word Nolen is script that says "Gran Turismo." On the front
    right fender is the #1753 (car inventory # for Truly Nolen)and labeled as "1962 Studebaker"

The chrome states: "Studebaker Hawk" Last tagged in AZ in 1989.

Uphostery is pretty well shot/stick shift on the floor.

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

They have a 1950 4-door painted similarly down in Green Valley, AZ, about 30 miles south of Tucson.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Thanks Paul, next time I'm down there, I will see if it's still on display.....

Comment

He had one up here in Ogden Utah for awhile. I wonder if it's the same one?

Comment

They rotate their cars to the different stores.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I know I've never heard of him.

Are these cars running and driving, or just stationary billboards?

At least they're in a dry area, so when he's done with them they'll still be good candidates for restoration.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Boy, "Truly" a waste if it hasn't been tagged and driven since '89. Bob is right...at least it's safe until it finds a good home in the SDC.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Are these cars running and driving, or just stationary billboards?
                Just stationary billboards. Truly Nolan has been doing this in the Western States since the late 70s, although I haven't seen any here in SoCal in quite a few years. They're pretty famous for it out here.

Last time I remember seeing one of their adcars in North San Diego County, it was a '29 Buick 4-door sedan... that was probably 15 years ago.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Here are a few (only a few) of his other cars:

The 1920's F*#D that was parked next to the Studebaker,
                  seem to be in a lot better condition and wasn't painted
                  yellow.

Comment

I saw one of the new yellow vw bugs parked at a house in Sun City Az.a block over from where we winter. We also were in Green Valley visiting some SDC friends last month but did not see the Stude and attended March Madness in Tuscon but did not see the yellow Hawk.

Frank van Doorn
                    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                    1963 Daytona Conv
                    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Truly Nolan has a home in Naples. He has a gorgeous 100' sailing yacht for sale in the local newspaper. I saw a Rolls Royce a few years ago with a very attractive lady driving it. The plate on the front bumper said "Truly." His cars are parked all over SW Florida, too. Many years ago I saw a car which I recall was a Model T. It was parked and the daily rains were causing the steering wheel to delaminate even though the top was up. For many years now I have only seen closed cars parked around the area. Code enforcement hassled the company about the cars being use for advertising, so now the only script on the cars is his name. I have heard that he has been quite generous in helping with some of the needs and programs in the area.

Naples, FL
                      1963 Avanti R2524
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Truly must only go after the southern bugs, not a name that I recognize around here.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

He has been in the Houston area for 40 years. I remember his VW bugs in the late 60's with the mouse ears on them(or was it insect antennae?) Houston has a great climate (and demographics) for roaches, rats, termites, and other vermin which keeps exterminators busy here. I wish he caould exterminate tin worms!lol! What does an exterminator do in AZ? Catch scorpions?

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Scorpions, rats, ravenous termites and other "critters"
                            just to name a few........

Comment

How about the Venomous Duck?

Comment

Working...
                              X