Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budd Co. '53 Commander, glass polyester body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budd Co. '53 Commander, glass polyester body?

Hardtop. Only one produced, I guess. It was made in Philadelphia in 1954. Had chemists working on the finish and the resin used to create the body(from steel panels) in Connecticut.

It went through exhaustive road testing by Studeabaker and then was returned to The Budd co.

This is the MOST RARE Studebaker to find!

Just one of those anomalies, in history, were Studebaker was ahead of their time...

Steve

I'm not familiar with that. Do you have pictures?

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Not to be negative, but some sort of documentation would be necessary to make that post believable...otherwise it falls into the same category as "Studebaker used Ford 289's". It may very well be true, but saying so doesn't make it so.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hey Dick! Check it out: Turning Wheels, April 1991, Vol. 23, No. 4, page 28... picture and all! I wish I had time to research it at the National Museum...

Comment

Thanks for the reference, Steve [^]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wasn't there a TW article about a '47?? made with "plastic" too? I remember reading that one so it must be in my collection.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Wasn't the top of one of the station wagon prototypes made out of fiberglass or some other material other than steel?

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Here is the station wagon prototype.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I was re-re-re-reading my copy of [u]Studebaker's Finest</u> (John Bridges) today and, on page 61 he says, "As the wood models neared completion in early January 1952, a contract was given to the Budd Company for a full-sized, working, metal automobile.", which they hand-made, and delivered...

Who were these guy's? Did they do a lot of the first prototypes for many of Studebaker's cars? What craftsmen!!

[u]I take it back</u>. The RAREST of the RARE is the all wood, full-size, prototype shown on page 58!!!

How unbelievable would it be to posess any quarter scale, clay model, of any year Stude?

Comment

I know Thomas Edison worked with Henry Ford to build plastic body parts made from different plants
                    (flax and soybean comes to mind) in the twenties and thirties...
                    I recall an ad where Henry Ford was whacking a Ford trunk lid with a sledge hammer)...
                    Pretty neat thread..
                    I'd like to learn more.....
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by wmsteve

Hardtop. Only one produced, I guess. It was made in Philadelphia in 1954. Had chemists working on the finish and the resin used to create the body(from steel panels) in Connecticut.
                    It went through exhaustive road testing by Studeabaker and then was returned to The Budd co.
                    This is the MOST RARE Studebaker to find!
                    Just one of those anomalies, in history, were Studebaker was ahead of their time...
                    Steve
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:
                      Leonard comes through again with a pic.
                      Were you ever a librarian?
                      (cool concept, too)

Chris Pile
                      Midway Chapter SDC
                      The Studebaker Special
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I guess I'm the only one interested but...

I think that this was the company, hired by Studebaker, to build it's 1953 prototype car, from the wood model.

The Budd Co.

Amazing man! Incredible Company!!

Check-it-out,

Steve

Comment

Budd was well known in the automotive and railroad industry for decades. They made body stamping and steel wheels for many automobile brands, and freight and passenger cars for North American railroads. All of the stainless-steel streamlined passenger cars used by the Santa Fe, CB&Q and others were Budd-built.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Budd was the company that supplied the wide beds for later Champ trucks. I think by that time they were owned by Chrysler.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                            X