speedo cable options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo cable options

My speedo cable finally self-destructed... I knew it was just a matter of time. Ever since I substituted my OD tranny for my old 3-speed, the (short) cable has been situated at an unnatural angle since it has to stretch back to the OD unit. I need the core and the shaft.

Question - Since these transmissions were used for many years, and most speedos have similar connections in back, can I use a cable from a different year car? The reason I ask is that none of the usual suppliers seem to have mine in stock. Any ideas on an available shaft/cable I can use? I need one about 58" in length.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Do you have a NAPA Parts store. Take your old one with you they have 3 different lengths. They also fit Fords and Dodges the old ones that is. Also bought a new hood pull cable for the 51 just like it but doesn't say hood on the handle.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

If it doesn't say 'hood' on the handle, how do you know it's the hood that is opening?

I'm sorry, I tried, I really did try, but my fingers did it anyway.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Paul
        I have a 1950 4 door with overdrive. I replaced the original speedo cable with an old universal part. Application chart said the speedo cable is common to 47-52 Studes, 49-52 Nash-Ramblers W/OD, 47-52 Willys Jeepster, sedan, (maybe some Jaguars?). By the way, NAPA has some good speedo cable lube. Use some "suspended"(?) graphite lube. It seems to be graphite suspended in kerosene.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
        X