Pair of Packards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pair of Packards

Anybody want to guess final price? I say, over $250,000.00 for the pair.

OCPG has the convert at $33 and the HT at $16 for #3 cars (and I think that would be generous for these). Nice cars, but not a quarter of a million dollars.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The 1955-56 Carribean convertable is the most desirable of all the post-war Packards, as well as the last "true" Packard for the purists. It is complete and includes a working [per the seller] ultramatic, pretty rare in itself. The deal includes a dual 4-barrel setup, NOS, with the ultra-rare "batwing" oil bath air cleaner. All the trim appears to be there and in good shape. The hardtop is the second most desirable post-war "pure" Packard, also in good running condition, and complete. These are both very rare and desirable automobiles. Worth a quarter million? Don't know, they are only worth what the seller is offered on the final day of the auction.

Comment

Lovely cars, though as many of the pictures are in the dark it's hard to tell. Possibly worth 250,000 if restored to Pebble Beach type quality, the seller says the cars have been sitting for 22 & nearly 20 years respectively and there is work to do.

Seems to me if you could get them for a reasonable price and do another body off frame restoration, you'd have 2 excellent cars.

If I had the funds they'd be great.

John Clements
        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
        Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I love big senior Packards, especially '55 & '56 models. But I'll be surprised if they bring $50K.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Maybe 75K, but should have had a better listing for cars like that.

JDP/Maryland
            JDP Maryland

Comment

When did Packard use the pushbutton set up? 55 only?

Comment

I think he would do better (price wise) if he listed them separately, but ran them at the same time and referenced the other car's listing. I'm not sure why he wants to sell them together. The high bidder may turn around and sell the one he doesn't want to finance the other.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

V8 Packards always seem bargain-priced to me....EXCEPT Caribbeans! Our local S-P dealer in our small hometown sold '56 Convertible serial no. 1258 new (still survives in restored condition in NC AFAIK), and an old friend in my hometown bought a '56 Caribbean Hardtop from an older gentleman on the other side of town for what I consider a bargain price, some fifteen years ago. It had been bought new at Gezon Motors in Grand Rapids, MI. In the '70's the owner of our local Dairy Queen owned a '56 Caribbean Hardtop as well. I believe the family ended up moving to Las Vegas. Amazing that three different '56 Caribbeans lived at one time or another in Greenville, PA! I have heard that a used '55 Caribbean also was used as a daily driver by a local gal in the early '60's there.

I actually prefer the Four-Hundred model. I think the Caribbeans are a tad over-the-top, but many collectors apparently disagree!

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

I've never understood how anyone would think forcing cars to be sold as a package is a good idea! I can't think of any situation where cars draw more money packaged then they would separately- including parts cars! Of course, as a buyer, I like the practice

Dick's got the best idea- link them in the information, but SELL them separately.

The only reason I can see for selling as a pair is for emotional reasons- as though they'd miss each other if separated[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 5859

When did Packard use the pushbutton set up? 55 only?
                      The push-button transmission control was 1956 only. Initially offered only on Senior Packards (400, Patrician, Carribean) but quickly expanded to be available in Clippers as well and, of course, in the mid-year 1956 Packard Executive. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In today's market, this pair might push $100,000....max. You do have to find the right buyer, and this is from someone who loves the style and colors of V-8 Packards. There is an unusually good following for the rare Carribean hardtops for some reason, but, as this seller alludes to, they tend to rust under the vinyl tops. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I realize that these are high end Packards... But why do the seats look like something from a boat? [xx(]

Can the seat cushions be used as flotation devices? [)]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

IIRC, they are reversable; sporty leather on one side for top-down cruising and fabric on the other side for formal evenings.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

MB Does this answer your ??

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                              As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Working...
                              X