1951 commander v8 engine color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 commander v8 engine color

I need to know if the block is green and if the valve covers,intake and water pump are painted black ? Also if anyone has engine bay pictures of a 1951 commander restored to orignal colors.Thanks ,Daveg

Hi Daveg,
    and welcome to the world's best Studebaker forum. You likely will get many great
    responses.
    The 51, 232 cu.in., V8 engine was painted an Army olive drab green. The valve covers were
    black. I'm not sure what else was black.I think the pulley. Others will add and correct me
    but this is the paint scheme I've seen. Studebaker International sells the right green
    color #800254 in their catalog.

Dick Curtis

1950 Champion Starlight
    1963 Hawk GT
    Santa Barbara
    CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

Comment

The intake manifold should be bare cast iron to be correct. I have found that the "Cast Iron" hi temp paint fron Eastwood looks pretty close and prevents corrosion.

Comment

What color were the oil and auto transmission dip sticks, the oil filler tube cap, fan blades and pulley on a 1951 Commander Starlight Coupe 232 V8 engine?

Ron Acton

Comment

Below is a link of my 232 on my 1951 Land Cruiser that I restored earlier this year. You may have to scroll through some of the pictures, since I am chronicling the full restoration process. I pretty much painted the parts the same as what they were originally. I am certain the block colors are original from the factory, the yellow paint marker identifications on the block were still there. The block was OD green, fan, pulley, oil filler and water pump body were also OD green. The valve covers are semi-gloss black, the oil filter canister is gloss black if installed at the factory (mine was). I believe it was bright orange if it was dealer installed. I painted the dry type air cleaner gloss black as well. Hope this helps.

Login to Dropbox. Bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and keep your files safe.
          Last edited by 61LaRk4dr; 09-06-2016, 08:48 PM.
          1947 Studebaker M-5
          1946 Studebaker M-5
          1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
          1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
          1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
            The intake manifold should be bare cast iron to be correct. I have found that the "Cast Iron" hi temp paint fron Eastwood looks pretty close and prevents corrosion.
            You can ignore the above Post, the Poster must have been thinking about the EXHAUST Manifolds, as there is NO question that Intake Manifolds like all Stude. V8's got the same Color, the Whole Engine got because that is how they were sprayed, the Converter Housing, Transmission, Oil Pan, Dipstick & Tube, Fan, Pulley, Heads, ALL of it!

Replacement Oil Caps and Fan Blades were Black, all Factory Installed were Olive Green "Studebaker Green", 1950's Bell Telephone Truck Green, Packard Green and Military Green available at: http://studebakervendors.com

Originally posted by ronta View Post
            What color were the oil and auto transmission dip sticks, the oil filler tube cap, fan blades and pulley on a 1951 Commander Starlight Coupe 232 V8 engine? Ron Acton
            You must have a later Engine and or Transmission, the '51 to 1960's have the Auto. Transmission Dipstick in the Transmission accessed on the Tunnel under the Carpet.

Engine and Transmission Assy's were all painted complete Minus Electrics with Valve Covers covered, as they were already Gloss Black.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
            X