34 Dictator Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34 Dictator Head?

I have a friend who owns a 34 Dictator sedan. He needs a cylinder head. Are there other year cylinder heads that will work or must it be only 34? Does anyone know of someone who has a head for sale that would get this car back on the road? Any help will be appreciated.
    David djpat@suddenlink.net

Oldpatt
    1953 Commander Hardtop

I would guess that the head off any Dictator from about '33 to '38 would work. If I remember right, that model of Dictator six was derived from the Rockne engine, and carried on as the Commander engine, used until 1960 in trucks.

Foothills Chapter SDC has a '35 Dictator parts car; don't know if there is a head, or if there, if it is any good. I could look, though.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

There were changes in the cylinder heads during the '30's even on cars of the same engine displacement. According to the parts book the '34 Dictator cylinder head (and head gasket) did not interchange with either the '33 or '35.

Richard Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks for the information, Richard. Did they relocate the bolt holes in the block, or was it more a case of the combustion chamber changing its shape, with a different gasket being required as a consequence?

I suspect this is a case where one would have to have both heads and both gaskets in one's hands to determine if the swap could be done. The parts book tells us what is "right" for the application according to factory policy at the time the book was published. A third-party interchange guide like Hollanders will tell us the "will fits". I wonder if anyone on the Forum has a 1930s-1940s Hollander book?

Comment

Have that vintage Hollander somewhere around here.Finding it may take awhile!
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
          X