55 Commander Coupe home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Commander Coupe home

The '55 Commander I bought in California was "relayed" up to Portland. I picked it up there today and brought it home.

It still has mostly its original paint. Even the wheels are still pink ones.

Nice grill...

The floors are super nice...

Amazing on any car to see shiny paint on 53 year old floors.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

What are your plans for this one, Dick? Good straight looking '55.

Comment

I'll put it "in inventory" until its number comes up, then get it running, driving, stopping...clean it up, tires, etc. and sell it.

I have too many Studes already, but just can't seem to pass up a "deal"

I ran a compression check before I bought it and all cylinders were "new engine high". It will run for sure.

The car had sat for 20 years...engine wasn't locked.

I really like this color combination...so 50's [8D]. I hope the new owner will paint it back original. Not everyone is a fan of Pink, however. [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The '55 Commander I bought in California was "relayed" up to Portland. I picked it up there today and brought it home.

...and it will look like THIS when its done???[8D]

Craig

Comment

As far as the pink color is concerned, it was a very popular color in the '50s.
          I find it fascinating how receptive people are to my pink '59 Lark Hardtop. Women in particular love the car when they see it.
          If I would have realized it when I was a young man how much of a
          "chick magnet" it is, I would have owned one back then.
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Dick
            Nice looking car.
            I'm a fan of restoring/refinishing cars to original...but I really don't think I could bring myself to paint it that color....sorry!

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Better run down to the body shop and change my color ONCE AGAIN LOL. That is a GREAT lookin car. What a find.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E
                ...and it will look like THIS when its done???[8D]

Craig
                'Just what I thought of when I saw Dick's post, Craig. The nice one you displayed is former Indy Chapter member Sam Robert's car, although he sold it several years ago. IIRC, it went to Wisconsin? BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Dick
                  Nice looking car.
                  I'm a fan of restoring/refinishing cars to original...but I really don't think I could bring myself to paint it that color....sorry!
                  For some reason, I could do this car back in the pink/black combo and be very happy with it...but I can't paint my '59 Oakland Roadster Show Kustom back to T-Bird Pink like it was at that show. I guess I'll have to think about that paradox. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick--

Looks great, and I hope you do go with the pink-and-black. An acquaintance of mine here in the Hamilton area used to have a matched pair of 1955 deSoto Fireflite sedans he'd hire-out for weddings and the like. Billed as "his-and-hers", they were black-over-pink (like your Commander) and pink-over-black. So 50s, and so cool...

S.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                      For some reason, I could do this car back in the pink/black combo and be very happy with it...but I can't paint my '59 Oakland Roadster Show Kustom back to T-Bird Pink like it was at that show. I guess I'll have to think about that paradox. [^]
                      Dick
                      That's the great thing about Kustoms....(and 70s Avanti IIs) anything is correct!
                      Thank goodness your Kustom isn't too famous (something from Roth, Barris, or a magazine car), you might feel obligated to paint it pink.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Man, I LOVE that thing, Dick! Wanna trade for the Raunch Rod?[]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Man, I LOVE that thing, Dick! Wanna trade for the Raunch Rod?[]
                          Probably not. I got out a bottle of Lark Shine (pat. pend.) and hit the left rear quarter with it...

I also cleaned up the grill...

First of all, I had no idea that Lark Shine (pat. pend.) would work on a non Lark type. This is good news.

Not all of the car will shine like this quarter. The top surfaces are not as good. The paint has worn through in spots and the pink is showing through a lot of the black on the roof. I think it would be cool, however, to Lark Shine (pat. pend.) the whole car and just drive it like that. In my experience, cars in progress, and cleaned up "barn finds" get more attention than the $100,000 pro built jobs.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree. Give it a once over with the Complimenting Commander Cleaning Compound, and drive it. Cool car! [8D]

Matthew Burnette

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I agree. Give it a once over with the Complimenting Commander Cleaning Compound, and drive it. Cool car! [8D]
                              I'm fresh out of CCCC, but I'll trade you for a bottle of Lark Shine (pat. pend.)

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X