New Studebaker Owner Lookin' for Insights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Studebaker Owner Lookin' for Insights

I bought a 1960 Lark VI about 6 months ago. I have some questions about where to find certain things for it: original interior specs, white walls, correct paint color. I'd also like to see if anyone knows how to prevent the gas fumes from entering the cab. It runs great. I'm in love with the car. I guess I'm just looking for a conversation with people who have experience with Studebakers. I live in Seattle.

Jen

Welcome Jen! To start, surf this site for about a week (both general and tech.)you will find alot of info. that has already been discussed. Join SDC and then go to the Studebaker Museum site and get a Production Order for your car. This will tell you exactly how your car was shipped. Then check the links that tell you where your local chapter is and connect with them. You'll find real people with REAL answers! As for your fume problem... check for any and all exhaust pipe/muffler leaks and any holes or gaps where it can get in. Start with the simple stuff first.

Have a Blast!

Comment

Welcome, Jen.

This is a great place to start.

Have you checked out your local Chapter of SDC?

If you've joined SDC, you'll receive TURNING WHEELS, the GREAT monthly magazine, with tons of vendors, tech tips and history.

You can find most of the major vendors here:

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

WELCOME JEN!
        You have already received some good info, that should keep you busy for a while. I am not real up on larks, only had one years ago. As for your fumes. 1. Check fuel cap gasket. 2. Check fuel tank sending unit, and access opening to same. 3. Check hose connector at fuel tank to filler neck. 4. Check all flex connector from tank to fuel pump. 5. Check fuel pump, filter and carb. Good luck and let us know what's happening.

Tex in Alabama
        53 Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Great stuff. Thanks for the replies. I joined SDC right after I bought the Lark and have received a few issues of Turning Wheels. My coworkers love to thumb through it too. Rockne10 - thanks for the local Seattle link. I'm going to contact them. WMSteve - I will definitely want the Production Order. Thanks for that info. I'd like keep her original. Tex - I should have taken auto shop in high school. I'm serious. I have the feeling I'm going to learn a lot with this car.

Thanks again,

Jen

Comment

Jen, when I read "gas fumes" I assumed you meant from the exhaust; was it that, or actually gasoline odor?

Welcome! We'll help you get all this solved[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Welcome aboard! We're almost neighbours... some details about the gas smell will help get you the best advice. [^] The next 2 major Stude events in the PNW are the NorthWest Overdrive in Spokane on May 17/18 and the Zone Meet in Oregon City July 11 to 13. Hope to see you there!

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

I just downloaded the membership form to join the local chapter here in Seattle. I'm looking forward to going to a meeting.

When I first bought the Lark, it did have smoke coming out of the exhaust but a local Studebaker fella I found online named Walt Thompson helped me find a great mechanic. He also loaned me his hub puller (?) and worked hard to find me newish brake drums. He's been a huge help. The gas fumes are in the cab. Could they be coming from top of the gas tank that is visible in the trunk? There's a "cap" on top of the tank that maybe I could cover with duct tape or something. Sound silly?

She's due for an oil change. I'll ask Steve the mechanic down in Burien what he thinks too.

This is fun,

Jen

Comment

Jen,
                  Welcome aboard! One item that often goes bad and lets engine fumes into the passenger compartment is the rubber boot that goes around the gas pedal push rod. If you look behind the gas pedal there is a round metal rod that goes through the floor. It should have a black rubber boot around it. The boot looks like a small bellows and often splits and lets fumes in. The Studebaker part number is 513536X1 and is available through a number of Studebaker vendors. Here is a link to Studebaker International's parts catalog (PDF format) the boot is on page 109. Good luck.

Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                  1961 Lark Crusier
                  1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                  Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                  1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Jen, the "cap" you see may very well be the sending unit, I was talking about earlier. And, the hole you see it through may be the access hole for same. If fumes are coming from here, don't use gray tape until you are sure there is not a leak at the filler hose or the sending unit. Then, when that is fixed you can cover the hole with tape until you can get a cover.

Tex in Alabama
                    53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                    X