Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Stuebaker Owner....help!

Greetings all!

I've found a 52 Champion without the engine and transmission. Body is solid, interior is very good. She's been sitting in a barn for the last twenty something years (belongs to a friend who's dad has passed, he found a 51 Ford F100, 46 Chevy and a 52 Champion in the barn... no kidding.)

My dad's first car was a 52 Champion and I'd like to buy this for him to restore. What are the chances of finding an original engine/transmission (and possible cost) to fit the car?

If not an original engine transmission, then what other engines / transmissions will fit?

THNX for all the help.

Aside from oil pan differences most 41-60 170 c.i. flat head Studebaker 6 will fit,don't know much about the transmissions though.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

How common are these engines? Average price? I'm restoring a 67 Camaro and know the Chevy's inside and out but the Stude is a brave new world for me.

THNX

Comment

Studebaker made bunches of that engine (with either a 3 speed, or a 3sp O/D)...
        Betcha a donut you can find a running take out engine somewhere in the deep south (Birmingham, AL) for a few hundred bucks...
        That would be the easiest, as all the stuff would bolt right up.
        You might even find a ratty, rusty, donor car to give it's innards to a nice barn car find!
        Good luck, and welcome to our wacky lil' Stude world
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by frankrentef

How common are these engines? Average price? I'm restoring a 67 Camaro and know the Chevy's inside and out but the Stude is a brave new world for me.

THNX
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

THNX, His had the O/D, said he drove it until about 1957 when it threw a rod. I've seen several on craigslist that are rusted hulks with the engine / transmission in them. Guess we could get one of those, pull the engine and rework it. How difficult is it to get rings, gaskets, etc if needed?

Comment

They are pretty common,go to the SDC home page and click on the Chapters link for Alabama and find your local chapter and join.I'm sure the locals could guide you on prices and availability. Lots of parts available for these engines through our Studebaker vendors at very reasonable prices compared to vintage Big 3 parts. Best of luck in your search,whether you decide to go stock or modified you'll find plenty of help here. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by frankrentef

THNX

Comment

It should not be hard to find a Champion engine for this car. It is a very reliable powerplant--just not exciting. Many people pull them out today, not because it is a lousy engine, they are just looking for something else. Of course there is currently speed equipment available for this car if that's your bent. (See Bill Cathcart in Stude vendors elsewhere on this site.) There is an abundance of these engines out there. You will probably be offered some from people on this forum. I know I passed one up a couple years ago at a general auto swap meet. Fresh rebuild, with overdrive transmission, painted up purty,[:X] etc. for $100.[:0] Guy bought the car and decided to rod it. Had no need for the engine. You'll find one. And check out the Stude vendors, you'll see mechanical parts are readily available.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Just watch out for that DEEPNHOCK guy,you may get infected with yellow fever!!! [}] http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=8013

Comment

$100.00! SOLD

THNX for the info, he'd want it (as do I) back close to factory specs. We both do our restorations as close to factory as possible. Nothing wrong with moding an oldie up, we just lean more to the "original when possible" side of things.

Comment

I have a six, with accessories, except fuel pump and fan blades. It has clutch housing and clutch assy. The trans is later with one piece d/shaft. It does have O/D. If you are intrested I will check numbers and give you all the details. I am in Wetumpka Al. just north of Montgomery about 25 mi. 100 for both.

Tex in Alabama
                    53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Tex,

THNX for the post. I'd be intersted. You can email me direct at frankrentef@yahoo.com if you wish.

Comment

As for the yellow fever, I'd about swap my 67 RS (matching #'s with factory a/c) for that ride. She's sweet!

Comment

My 6 engine is a 1958 185. If after checking and you are intrested, you can let me know. I bought it with my 53, and it has 6-volt gen., etc. I started it and ran it to check oil pres. and noises. It sounded good. However, I have not driven it.

Tex in Alabama
                          53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Email with CASH price, location and distance from B'ham Al. I can pickup. frankrentef@yahoo.com

Comment

E-mail sent with info. Call if you like.

Tex in Alabama
                              53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                              X