Wagonaire from York- Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire from York- Part 2

Got a couple minutes to putter around with the 63 Wagonaire I bought at York this year. For the back story, here's the original thread, with a couple pics:

I had it running by feeding it gas from an old gear oil bottle last time I played with it. So today I rigged a line from a gallon gas can into the fuel pump pickup. It would run right along as long as I hand-fed it gas, but the pump never picked up. I assume the pump is shot.

The pictures show two really low-profile tires on the rear that George put on just so it would roll. I had two new 205s mounted on rims, so I put those on. That leveled out the car a lot better; the rear now seems about right, but it's still high in the front... don't know why.

I got a better look underneath. Someone had repaired the lower rear quarters on both sides; one is in primer, one in bondo. After having a closer look at it today, I see that whoever did the work did an excellent job! Metal outer panels welded in to the original, solid inners. The bondo is just finishing the seams off; not very thick. Professional looking work! The frame is all clean; no rust or swelling anywhere. Other than the aforementioned RH floor and rocker replacement needed, everything else underneath is solid and straight.

I mentioned that it sounds great- quiet, and no lifter noise. Today's inspection revealed a complete brand new exhaust from engine to tailpipe, with the stickers still on everything! Front disc pads, rotors, and calipers look good.

Next thing will be to get the fuel pumping, then clean the tank if necessary. Then see if I can get some brakes on it. If I can do that, I'll see if it will go up the road!

The homely old thing is definitely a diamond-in-the-rough[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

I like hearing about this one. Sounds like providence is in your favor. Love those wagons!!

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

Bams, that little Wagonaire is bringing a smile to my face -- even though that is a little bit painful right now, post-surgery! I had a good feeling about that one, and I'm glad you're finding it to be so solid. Keep us updated on it!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
      Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll yank this thread forward with an update as I do more.

I have it sitting where I can see it out of my home office window. I looked out just before dark, and figured out why it was too high in the front... a quick check verified my suspicion- the front tires are 225s, as opposed to the 205s I put on the rear.

Hope to mess with it this weekend, and the first thing will be getting different tires on the front[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

...and then will it be for sale ???? Inquiring minds wish to know ...

Comment

For sale? I don't know yet. My incredibly accepting better half wants a wagon. I have a 57 Provincial that runs and is SOLID but needs paint, interior, and the usual resto stuff- brakes, tires, hoses and belts, carb rebuild. I already did the gas tank.

The plan was to at least get that roadable for Momma this year; she loves the roof rack, and says that big dip in the front bumper makes it look like it's talking[)] But since the Wagonaire showed up and she saw that sliding roof, she's thinking about that. (Personally I prefer the Wagonaire, Lark nerd that I am), but time will tell.

I may go after one and sell the other, or may keep both; or, if Linda finally wises up and ditches me after 22 years, I'll sell both!

In any case, the old Wagonaire will be saved, and in a good home[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
            X