Wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring harness

Does anyone know of a vendor that supplies wiring harnesses for Studes? I am specifically looking for one for my 52 Champion. Yes, I could wiring everything myself, but if someone has taken the time already, why not Thanks!

It you are an SDC member and get TW, Studebakers West generally has an ad for their harnesses. Quite nice. If your car is modified and 12V, aftermarket hot rod harnesses are cheaper and (dare I say) better than the original.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Several Stude vendors have harnesses ready to replace yours; good quality stuff, no adapting necessary but only available in modern style wire. About $300 complete.

Since you were contemplating wiring it yourself, I would guess a generic aftermarket, which would require some adapting, would save you some money. Note, if you are keeping it 6-volt, all wire must be heavier gauge. If you go generic make certain the harness is specified for 6-volt application.

On the other hand, if you intended to make it a show car, you would need the harness in the original type lacquered braided wire. There are at least two companies that produce these with freshly braided new wire. Rhode Island Wire Service and YnZ's Yesterdays Parts. These will set you back about $700
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hmmm, so other than wiring what is entailed with conversion from 6 to 12V?

Comment

Dick S. gave the same advice to me, I followed it and have zero complanits. My harness went in perfect and the car fired up and ran the first time. The entire process was helped by the chat gang as I went through the process of replacing wires, a grerat group of people/helpers.

Comment

If you are not concerned about 100% authenticity, try Studebakers West. The Thoms brothers turn out great, correct Studebaker harnesses with modern PVC insulated wire at about 1/2 the cost of braided wire. If you want the real stuff, then both Y 'n Z and Rhode Island Wiring are very good choices.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

To convert you will need a 12v generator or altenator. All bulbs would need to be 12v and all gauges willneed voltage reducers. The wiper m otor and blower motor would have to be converted to 12v. The starter and horns can stay 6v. The only issue with a 6v starter and 12v supply is a concern that you will wear out the brushes faster but after 15 years with this setup I haven't had to change brushes on my daily driver. The horns will be louder.

Comment

Also reverse your polarity.

Randy Rundle at Fifth Avenue Garage sells a 12-volt conversion guide for $10. He would also have any parts you need.

Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                X