EMERGENCY BRAKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMERGENCY BRAKE

HI GUYS IT HAS BEEN MANY YEARS SINCE I FOOLED AROUND WITH A OLD CAR NEVER A STUDDY,ANYHOW MY EMERGENCY BRAKE DOES NOT WORK SO I GOT LOOKING AROUND.FIRST THING I FOUND OUT IS YOU NEED A WHEEL PULLER TO GET THE BACK DRUM OFF.I LOOKED UNDER THE CAR ,WHERE THE FRONT CABLE MEETS THE CABLE FOR THE BACK DRUMS AND THERE WAS A SPRING HANGING DOWN AND ILL BE DARNED IF I CAN FIND OUT WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HOOKED UPTO I LOOKED IN THE SHOP MANUAL AND IT SHOWS EVERTHING BUT THE SPRING..KINDA UNSAFE DRIVING WITHOUT AN EMERGENCY BRAKE...
    ANY IDEAS???????THANKS

If I remember right, there's a fairly large coil spring that runs from the intermediate lever to a little divot on the floor of the car. Just hold the spring straight back from the lever (with the lever in the fully-back position), and the end of the spring should point toward the proper anchor point.

When it comes to removing the rear brake drums, be sure to use the PROPER puller. It HAS TO be one that bolts to the wheel studs with at least 3 legs. A jaw puller that grips the rim of the brake drum will NOT work, and will only destroy the brake drum. Use the search function of this forum to search "hub puller" or "drum puller". You may be able to rent or borrow the proper tool at your local automotive parts house.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Don't know if it helps but you could borrow my hub puller.

Kansas City area

Chop Stu
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I just (yesterday) reinstalled the return spring on my '55 Prez. One end hooks on the Intermediate lever, (one hole in from the loose end) the other goes thru a 1/2 inch hole in the cross member and also thru a 3/32 hole just below the 1/2 in hole.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President (H6 Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction) 161 hrs.
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
        X