Question on Avanti fiberglass components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Avanti fiberglass components

Front firewall of the fiberglass Avanti body on the stainless steel frame.

This is a closeup of the body mount at the firewall of the Avanti, on the stainless steel frame.

The rivets in question are circled in red. Are these rivets a structural part of the fiberglass mount, or were they just used to secure the fiberglass mount to the body until the resin cured? In other words, can these rivets now be removed with out any loss in structural integrity?

This is a closeup of the driver's side inner fender where it meets the radiator support.

The rivets in question are circled in red. Again, can these be removed without any loss of structural integrity?

Thanks in advance for the response.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
    Here are two links for some pictures and information.
    Slide Show
    Magazine Article
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

I dont think that I would remove the rivots, and its best not to do
    a design that would require it. Even if you were to PROVE that the
    rivots are not required any longer, only a handful will believe you.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I just do not get it you take out the body hog though and do not replace them with any support system it is like getting a boat taking out all the ribbing in it and streamlining it !!!! on a lake that is not rough it would be ok but on a ocean you would be a fool to take it out In rough water your work is very impressive but not though out very well I did a frame off on my 1982 it is just my 5 cents of info stop what you are doing and get on your computer make up a modified hog though and give the car a structure back and the rivets are stainless and part of the cars structure you are making a jelly fish car body structure !!!!!

Comment

Should be safe as long as the orange flag is posted in the vicinity of the car to warn people.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
        Here are two links for some pictures and information.
        Slide Show
        Magazine Article
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Working...
        X