Maine Hawk still snow bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Hawk still snow bound

Hi Every one!! I have not been on for a while-- To busy plowing snow up here!! Well its the last weekend in March,just got a couple of more inches of snow!! My question is? can a Hawks super charger be put on a stock engine that came out of a 1958 President sedan, Is the engine the same? and also what would you suggest for an overall good engine oil and weight. Thanks Frankie/Maine Hawk

Well,

Looking at the parts book, the heads were the same on the3 supercharged cars as the non-supercharged cars that had 7 to 1 or 7.5 to 1 compression ratios. There was an 8 to 1 head for non-blown cars. Part# 537571 (and I don't have handy the casting number correlation for that part #) is the 8 to 1 heads. The other two numbers (PART #s again) are 536097 & 536790. Those two numbers were shared between S'chgd and non-S'chgd cars in 57 and 58.
    Everything else - save for the carb, pulleys, etc., etc.. for the S-chgr - should be the same.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well,

Looking at the parts book, the heads were the same on the3 supercharged cars as the non-supercharged cars that had 7 to 1 or 7.5 to 1 compression ratios. There was an 8 to 1 head for non-blown cars. Part# 537571 (and I don't have handy the casting number correlation for that part #) is the 8 to 1 heads. The other two numbers (PART #s again) are 536097 & 536790. Those two numbers were shared between S'chgd and non-S'chgd cars in 57 and 58.
      Everything else - save for the carb, pulleys, etc., etc.. for the S-chgr - should be the same.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply! So Would it be okay to put a super charger on a non super charged V8? Also does any one have any opinions on what a good every day type of oil to use in the Hawk and what weight? Thanks

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply! So Would it be okay to put a super charger on a non super charged V8? Also does any one have any opinions on what a good every day type of oil to use in the Hawk and what weight? Thanks

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Maine Hawk

The issue of what's the best motor oil has been exhaustively discussed here. See the thread entitled "SJ oil" over on the technical talk forum. Also, use try entering "ZDDP" or "flat tappets" in the search function.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X