Overheating 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating 1950 Champion

Hi Guys: I have a 1950 Champion, with a champion engine. After a few minutes of idling it starts to overheat. I have intalled a freshly overhauled water pump, installed new hoses, removed and cleaned the radiator, removed and cleaned the underseat heat exchanger. When the radiator and water pump were removed I cleaned the water jacket with a pressure washer and a coat hanger to get all of the junk out. I tried bleeding the system to remove any airlock, this help a little bit, but it still runs on the high end of normal. I also noticed that there is no hot air blowing fron either the defrost or the underseat heater. I did (gently) blow compressed air through the hoses to see if there were any obstructions, and there was air movement. With the rad cap removed there does appear to be fluid movement. There is very little coolant movement through the return hose from the underseat heat exchanger. I'm not sure what else to do? What should I do next? Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.

You made no mention of the thermostat. If you replaced it, is it possible it was installed upside down by accident??? If it's still the old one left in there, it's possible it could be stuck in a partially closed position. It's worth a look-see. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

With no heat you may have sediment in the heater valve. You stated you cleaned the water jacket with e pressure washer,did you pull the freeze plugs and drain plugs from the block? If not you may have just pushed more sediment to the rear.This is a very messy job,prepare to get wet and dirty. When I flushed my 259 out there were pounds of sediment in the driveway. Had to replace all the core plugs,a couple I just had to look at cross eyed they were so corroded.Good luck,hope it all works out.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

Did you install the thermostat spacer gasket, thermostat spacer, thermostat and thermostat housing gasket into the thermostat housing in that order, with the Stat heat sensing "pellet" to the engine? [?]

Check for a missing spring inside of the lower radiator hose, or collapsed hose, loose fan belt. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi guys: Thanks for the quick response! I'm impressed with the technical knowledge of the forum. I did install a new thermostat, and I placed it in a pan of water and heated it up on the stove. It opened as advertized, and was installed as per the shop manual. The hoses are ok, and all have been replaced. I didn't remove the engine drains and drain the block, or check the heater valve, nor did I remove the frost plugs. Since the radiator and front clip were removed I was able to reach right to the back of the engine block with the pressure washer. It was a very messy job! Any ideas on removing loose sediment without dismantling the front end again? Thanks Sugarbaker Proud owner of a 1950 Champion, a 1953 Starlight Coupe, and a 1952 2R5

Comment

Sure, just remove those core (freeze) plugs, it's easy on a Champion, maybe with the slight exception that you do have to remove the starter and seal up the dipstick hole to get the rear one. Then you can remove that sediment at the bottom of the water jackets completely. [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Sugarbaker

Any ideas on removing loose sediment without dismantling the front end again?
            StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My champion used to over heat after just 15 min. of running. I took it to a old style radiator shop that had a flow tester. I know you had your radiator clean and checked for leaks however do you know what it is flowing per min.? Mine was flowing very little after they boiled it a couple of times it was flowing a great deal, now my stude can do parades for hours and never overheat because the water is flowing without obstuction. these cars are 50 years old and have dirt and junk in them, they may not leak however there flow capacity my be limited. Good luck

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

Hi Guys: Again I'm impressed. After reading the replys I ran out into the shop and removed the hose to the climatizer valve and routed it to the return on the cylinder head. I idled it for some time and there was no overheat! So the problem is in the heater valve, or in the heater/defrost circuit. This narrows my seach down considerably. Any further thoughts before I get out the tool box? Again thanks from Sugarbaker the proud owner of a 1950 Champion, a 1952 2R5 and a 1953 Starlight coupe.

Comment

I have had a water pump impeller loose on the shaft.
                  If you have a head gasket leak it will overheat soon!
                  Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X