cadillac engine swap lark wagon 1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cadillac engine swap lark wagon 1959

Is there anybody who has expierence with swapping a cadillac 472 in a lark wagon?
    I know a 454 will fit and the dimensions are almost the same.
    Which steering box is the best to mount?
    regards

I've done a few of the Caddy swaps and did not have to mess with cutting or moving anything, including the steering.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Any automotive V-8 will fit.
      And if your creative...have you seen the Merlin (P-51) powered 55 Chevy? So...if there's a will...there's a way!

Mike

Comment

FWIW, the 472" Cadillac is actually longer than the BBC. The Studebaker V8 is as heavy, long, tall and wide as just about any US OHV-8,so we haven't seen anything which could not be made to fit. The 472"-500" Cad is my favorite engine to swap into just about anything. It has sufficient torque to pull low-numeric street gears with the TH400, so it doesn't require the complication and expense of an overdrive automatic. However, it is awesome when fitted with one! Let us know as your project progresses.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Yea...baby..

I hadn't realized just how long those blocks are until I was standing around while getting the valve seat done for my port experiment.
          There was one sitting on the floor. Looks like something out of a tractor...or tank!

No disrespect intended! I...for an instant...thought of using one (500 inches) in the 55 Conestoga I have! I think I'm just gonna go the easy route..

Mike

Comment

I have a 509" with TH400 in my K body 53'. Made a drop link for stock Ross box. Made shorty headers to get around the box, but stock manifolds could probably be modified. The oil pump/filter in the rt front cleared the front cross-member after dimpling it a bit. This engine is lighter than a big block chev, has the starter on the rt side, away from steering, and has the distributor in the front, away from the firewall. I believe 3 different oil pans are available. I used an Eldo pan on mine with the sump in the back if I remember correctly. There are two companies at least selling special parts for these engines, including motor mounts useable for your project.
            Greg
            Studillac project for sale http://turbostude.com/Cad

Comment

GREG THANKS FOR THE PICTURES OF THE STUDELACC IT GIVES ME NEW POWER TO CONTINUE.
              KEEP YOU INFORMED WITH MY EXPERIENCE AND PICTURES.
              WHAT KIND OF MOTORMOUNTS DID YOU USE FOR THE SWAP?

Comment

You may wish to contact this company:

I purchased motor mounts and a number of other items from them. Ownership changed in 2001, but I see that they still sell the same items and more.
                Good luck!
                (I do have my car for sale now to finance a ground-up Stude 3-wheel sportscar I've been planning for years, if anyone wants a good jump on building a Studillac)
                Greg 320-282-4577

Comment

What years of Cadillac engines are you using and what cube ? Pricing ?

BRAD

Comment

I see a large drop in horsepower in the list of 472-500 Cad engines over the years on Wikipedia. What caused the drop in horsepower ? How does one know if they are getting the larger horsepower engine ?

BRAD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

I see a large drop in horsepower in the list of 472-500 Cad engines over the years on Wikipedia. What caused the drop in horsepower ? How does one know if they are getting the larger horsepower engine ?

BRAD
                      I'm going to take a stab at pre 1978 1976
                      Horsepower drop was the result in all the emmissions requirements.
                      Heads made the real difference.
                      I've got two of these sitting around, One....real big front wheel drive trans.

Chop Stu
                      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Several events came to play.
                        73 or so high compression kind of disappeared cause of no lead gas laws.
                        About then the published HP ratings went from "almost anything goes" SAE gross to a much more representative SAE net.
                        In the pre-fuel injection days meeting emission specs with carbs meant getting cars to even run was a challenge for manufacturers. Any body driving a 71 to 75 car dealt with terrible driveability from cold, terrible mileage, low power and throttle response. Then there was rust. My boss bought a brand new 1973 Ford Country Squire. It had rusted the center door posts clean through when he bought his 1978 Olds diesel custom cruiser wagon. They were not the "good old days.

Comment

I'd like to hear and drive one of these. Once I get to know Stude engines a little better I might think about doing one of these for the heck of it

I was amazed to see the amount of enthusiasts, and accompanying goodies, for these engines.

Something about the minimalist nature of a Lark contrasting with the ostentatious nature of the Caddy engine is intriguing to me[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Cadillac goodies here...

Quality Parts for Muscle Car, Hot Rod, Racing & more. Trusted by enthusiasts since 1952 for fast & reliable shipping on affordable parts with expert support.

BRAD

Comment

I'm pretty sure they only made the 500 with high compression in 1970. In 71 the compression ratios dropped to compensate for retarded cam and ignition timing. UMM.. weren't the original studillacs rear distributor motors? I was wondering about hood clearance on a 53-4 with that huge hei hanging out there in front.

Comment

Working...
                              X