Yet one more "mystery" motor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet one more "mystery" motor!

Leaving the local hardware store today - a guy pulls alongside in a red Durango.
    "AH! Studebaker truck!" he exclaims. "What year is that - a '63?"

"No....no this one's a '57." I say with a smile[^].

"57 eh? My dad had a '63 that looked just like that!" he says while nodding his empty head in affirmation.[B)]

"Say, what's it got for an engine.... I mean.... is it original an' all? Does it have a V8 or a FOUR?" he asks knowingly.[)]

"This one's got a V8." I reply.

"Wull, I'da never believed it 'lessen I'd seen my dad's with my own two eyes, but that thing had a SLANT FOUR! You know, like them ol' Dodge slant sixes - only with just four cylinders to it. Had a ol' Granny 4-speed behind it to. [8] I wooden'ah believed it 'cept I looked it up in one a them mechanics books and shor nuf, there it was that they'd made a slant four! Jus' a coupla years, ya know, but tha's what it had!"[)][8][V][B)][)]

As I took refuge in the cab, I said as a parting comment: "Yeah, them slant fours is rare! You hardly ever see one anymore."[^]

Slant fours, Vee Twelves, sheesh! It's gettin' hard to keep up![xx(]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

The only slant 4 cyl I remember was in the 1961 Pontiac Tempest...right half of a V8 with a cable drive shaft to the rear transaxle.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

The only slant 4 cyl I remember was in the 1961 Pontiac Tempest...right half of a V8 with a cable drive shaft to the rear transaxle.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

International-Harvester used their "slant-4" (1/2 of their V8) in their early 60's pick-ups and Scouts.

Dan Miller
        Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
        Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

International-Harvester used their "slant-4" (1/2 of their V8) in their early 60's pick-ups and Scouts.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Sounds like the guy remembers a 63 IH ???

Oglesby,Il
            61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Sounds like the guy remembers a 63 IH ???

Oglesby,Il
              61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about it as I was driving home after that encounter. I remembered looking at one of the IH slant 4s in a wrecking yard a few years back. What struck me more about that vehicle was the one-piece casting, side-by-side Master Cylinder for clutch and brakes. That sure looks like a candidate for a Champ hyd clutch conversion![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about it as I was driving home after that encounter. I remembered looking at one of the IH slant 4s in a wrecking yard a few years back. What struck me more about that vehicle was the one-piece casting, side-by-side Master Cylinder for clutch and brakes. That sure looks like a candidate for a Champ hyd clutch conversion![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Your a hoot Biggs!(LOL)

Comment

Your a hoot Biggs!(LOL)

Comment

We had a '62 Tempest with one of those. Half a 395 V8, that huge 4 cyl thumped like a sore thumb, and it wound up the flex drive shaft (3/4"?, I think) like a rubber band. Let off, and the drive shaft unwound...boing...boing...boing. Downshift, and the flex drive wound and unwound. The rear tires sounded like a bloodhound...bark...bark...bark.

What a piece of engineering!

Comment

We had a '62 Tempest with one of those. Half a 395 V8, that huge 4 cyl thumped like a sore thumb, and it wound up the flex drive shaft (3/4"?, I think) like a rubber band. Let off, and the drive shaft unwound...boing...boing...boing. Downshift, and the flex drive wound and unwound. The rear tires sounded like a bloodhound...bark...bark...bark.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

Was it half of a 395 or 389? I thought the Poncho V-8's of that period were 389's.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jnormanh

Was it half of a 395 or 389? I thought the Poncho V-8's of that period were 389's.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X