v-8 or straight 8 engine #'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-8 or straight 8 engine #'s

i have an old car with an "assembled" titled designation. the oral history that has been passed down through various owners is that it had a studebaker "8" in it. the engine is now gone. the vin has the number E1018 on it. i'm wondering if that was a studebaker engine #. the old title is from 1959. the engine would have to be before that date.i'm gussing it was a used engine, which would push it back a few years further. thanks, in advance.

That would be a V8.

Stude straight 8's were last used in 1942.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

What year, model etc is the assembled car?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

That would be a V8.

Stude straight 8's were last used in 1942.
        but, but, but...what if the car he is referring to is based on a 1942 or earlier?

I can't find E1018 as an engine number on anything. What leads you to believe it is an engine number? You say the Vehicle Identification Number has the number E1018 on it". What does this mean? Is it the number on a plate on the car someplace? Is it the number on the title?

If you could post some pictures of the car in question, that would help. Or if you know what it is based on.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I seem to remember that early truck V8's started with E... but that could be incorrect. [:I]

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

the car i question was sort of an assembley of assorted parts. it was titled as a 1937 but as i said it was mostly cobbeled up from various parts. i just wondered if the # e1018 might have come from the studebaker motor, which i do not have. this is not really a restoration question.

Comment

Oops, I had just assumed that it was post war we were talking about. [:I]

If it is an 8 cylinder Stude, it would be a Straight 8. The V8 didn't debut until 1951.

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The only E--- engine number I could find is a 1930 Studebaker Model 53 six cylinder. No car serial numbers for cars start with E that I could find. Since you think it had an 8 cylinder engine, it could have been installed after the title was issued.

Comment

Working...
                X