61 4 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 4 speed

Is there someone here that knows about these cars? I heard there were about 125 factory 4 sp cars, is this right? Is there a list of the serial #'s like they have for jet thrust cars? I am looking at a car but need to know if it is original, and I don't have time to wait for a production order.

With 3600 plus built, I have to believe the 125 number is way low, perhaps 500-1000 ?

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

With 3600 plus built, I have to believe the 125 number is way low, perhaps 500-1000 ?

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
      63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

JP,
        I would have to agree with you since in my travels, I've come across 3 of them in the last 5 years myself. And that's without even going out looking for them.
        sals54

Comment

JP,
          I would have to agree with you since in my travels, I've come across 3 of them in the last 5 years myself. And that's without even going out looking for them.
          sals54

Comment

I Know of one that we have had since 1963 first car I bought

Comment

I Know of one that we have had since 1963 first car I bought

Comment

Out of 3929 61 hawks built,i'd imagine about a third were 4spd. I've seen and heard of a lot of them. Some times it seems like mine is the only automatic. I would have held out to buy a 4spd,if I'd have known they could be found at that time-[2002]
                The only way to find out for sure,would be to go through all the prod orders at the archives and count them.

Oglesby,Il
                61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Out of 3929 61 hawks built,i'd imagine about a third were 4spd. I've seen and heard of a lot of them. Some times it seems like mine is the only automatic. I would have held out to buy a 4spd,if I'd have known they could be found at that time-[2002]
                  The only way to find out for sure,would be to go through all the prod orders at the archives and count them.

Oglesby,Il
                  61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Leroy,

I sold one in Richmond back in '82 that was a 4 speed car. It was originally white but had been painted black with white inserts on the fins. Red interior and it had a continental kit. Let me know if it is the same car.

Gary

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Leroy,

I sold one in Richmond back in '82 that was a 4 speed car. It was originally white but had been painted black with white inserts on the fins. Red interior and it had a continental kit. Let me know if it is the same car.

Gary

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Leroy,
                        While the 4 speed option was rare, and the option makes the '61 more interesting to the collector.....
                        It isn't going to be a watershed item like a 4speed in a Hemi Cuda convertible.
                        Yes, it will add value, and maybe a few thousand extra dollars for the option (in a superb Hawk), but it won't end up being a barn burner of a speculator find.
                        There were a lot of them converted to 4 speed cars later on.
                        Best bet is to get the original build sheet for this particular Hawk.
                        Hope the info helps.
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by leroy

Is there someone here that knows about these cars? I heard there were about 125 factory 4 sp cars, is this right? Is there a list of the serial #'s like they have for jet thrust cars? I am looking at a car but need to know if it is original, and I don't have time to wait for a production order.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Leroy,
                          While the 4 speed option was rare, and the option makes the '61 more interesting to the collector.....
                          It isn't going to be a watershed item like a 4speed in a Hemi Cuda convertible.
                          Yes, it will add value, and maybe a few thousand extra dollars for the option (in a superb Hawk), but it won't end up being a barn burner of a speculator find.
                          There were a lot of them converted to 4 speed cars later on.
                          Best bet is to get the original build sheet for this particular Hawk.
                          Hope the info helps.
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by leroy

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

A chapter member here had a '61 4 speed Hawk. (Even had the 4 speed tag on the firewall.) We had it at my granddad's shop a few times, and that was one fun car! He sold it to buy a '62 Cruiser, and last I heard, the Hawk lives in Alabama.

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

A chapter member here had a '61 4 speed Hawk. (Even had the 4 speed tag on the firewall.) We had it at my granddad's shop a few times, and that was one fun car! He sold it to buy a '62 Cruiser, and last I heard, the Hawk lives in Alabama.

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X