Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Engine - Trans Combo

All,

Recently sent a note out about researching my engine/trans combo in the 55 E series pickup that I just bought from a seller in California. He noted it was a 259 with 3spd/OD; however in checking the numbers on arrival, I believe I've got something different:

engine # = 2E4748 on our site, this shows as the smaller V8 that might have come in the truck for that year; current engine also has a rochester 4 barrel mounted

trans # = T86-1A: definitey is a 3spd/OD, as I can see the selenoid

Truck shows it was a V-8 truck (trim on hood); believe a previous owner may have just swaped out the trans, and possibly kept the engine that was in the truck - opinions from you more experienced owners?

FYI: truck model # is E7-17, and serial # from the plate on the step is E7-3083; other plate shows model # as EC-2, along with a cab # 10684.

Need some help please; am about to do a rebuild and work to get the trans shift linkages working, but not sure what I'm dealing with here. [xx(][?]

You might have a 224/3sp with OD. We have a stock '56 that has a 224 with the column shift auto, which from what I was told was a rare beast. Pity it's swiss cheese though....
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

You might have a 224/3sp with OD. We have a stock '56 that has a 224 with the column shift auto, which from what I was told was a rare beast. Pity it's swiss cheese though....
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

How did you happen to steal that one out from under my nose here in California? I've been looking for a C cab pickup. Sounds like you got a nice one, though. I can't be of any help in ID'ing it as I do not have much experience with the trucks.
        sals54

Comment

How did you happen to steal that one out from under my nose here in California? I've been looking for a C cab pickup. Sounds like you got a nice one, though. I can't be of any help in ID'ing it as I do not have much experience with the trucks.
          sals54

Comment

The 224cu.in. IS correct for 55 as is the T-86 W/OD. (Mark57 note: here's a T-86 behind a V8 IN a truck.[^]) The T-85/T-89 didn't come onto the scene until '57.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The 224cu.in. IS correct for 55 as is the T-86 W/OD. (Mark57 note: here's a T-86 behind a V8 IN a truck.[^]) The T-85/T-89 didn't come onto the scene until '57.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle
                Another interesting tidbit of information... (how would I occupy my Forum time if I had a boring, completely stock Truck... [:0] [}]) Thanks Mr. B.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle
                  Another interesting tidbit of information... (how would I occupy my Forum time if I had a boring, completely stock Truck... [:0] [}]) Thanks Mr. B.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

How did you happen to steal that one out from under my nose here in California?
                    Yup~ I also hate when that happens... [:0] [V] [B)]

At least this vehicle sounds like it's going to stay in ONE piece!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

How did you happen to steal that one out from under my nose here in California?
                      Yup~ I also hate when that happens... [:0] [V] [B)]

At least this vehicle sounds like it's going to stay in ONE piece!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment