New "Stove Huggers" Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Stove Huggers" Forum

I have decided to create a "Stove Huggers" forum for off-topic discussions not specifically related to Studebakers. This forum is on a trial basis. The same basic rules apply: No politics. No Religion. No government conspiracies. None of the usual inflammatory stuff that ruins forums. Make sure you read the "Forum Policies" sticky in that forum before proceeding.

You can perhaps tell that I am somewhat nervous about doing this but am willing to give it a try. Whether it becomes a permanent forum addition is up to ALL forum members.

I have started moving some of the active topics to that new forum. The front-door link is:

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

FANTASTIC news, Bob!! I think this is long overdue[^]

For those of us that frequent the Forum, it has become WAY more than a Studebaker information source- it's a cyber-family! It's only natural that a group of family and friends would want to discuss other subjects of benefit to our friends, and share other aspects of our life in the interest of getting to know each other better.

Another thing is, plenty of times I'm not actively working on a Stude; so Stude stuff may or may not interest me on a given day. But the people here and what they say always are of interest- like any group of friends! The Lincoln forum has a "The Lounge"- exactly what you're doing. It works very well for the above reason. Politics, religion, etc. aren't allowed there either.

I think this will prove to be a great step forward for the Forum. It may take a bit for everyone to get a feel for the parameters, but I think you'll see, it'll be great!!

Thanks so much Mr. Shaw!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

FANTASTIC news, Bob!! I think this is long overdue[^]

For those of us that frequent the Forum, it has become WAY more than a Studebaker information source- it's a cyber-family! It's only natural that a group of family and friends would want to discuss other subjects of benefit to our friends, and share other aspects of our life in the interest of getting to know each other better.

Another thing is, plenty of times I'm not actively working on a Stude; so Stude stuff may or may not interest me on a given day. But the people here and what they say always are of interest- like any group of friends! The Lincoln forum has a "The Lounge"- exactly what you're doing. It works very well for the above reason. Politics, religion, etc. aren't allowed there either.

I think this will prove to be a great step forward for the Forum. It may take a bit for everyone to get a feel for the parameters, but I think you'll see, it'll be great!!

Thanks so much Mr. Shaw!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
        ...The Lincoln forum has a "The Lounge" - exactly what you're doing. [brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews
        [}] The Lounge certainly seems appropriate for The Lincoln group, Bob.

Now, let me see, what would this be called on the Corvette forum...The Jacuzzi? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
          ...The Lincoln forum has a "The Lounge" - exactly what you're doing. [brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews
          [}] The Lounge certainly seems appropriate for The Lincoln group, Bob.

Now, let me see, what would this be called on the Corvette forum...The Jacuzzi? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, there is a feeling of "family" in the SDC, whether it's here on the forum or at the various meets. That family feeling is grounded in a shared love for one thing: Studebakers.

The question is, will that single connection be strong enough to keep the forum membership bonded when more and more off-topic subjects reveal our many and distinct differences on other levels? We'll find out, I reckon.

Regarding the Lincoln Forum... yes, they do have The Lounge BUT even that didn't really solve anything. In fact, the arguing got so bad there that the administrator was forced to go one step further and create a totally private forum, "The War Room". I'll advocate closing down the forum before going that far.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Yes, there is a feeling of "family" in the SDC, whether it's here on the forum or at the various meets. That family feeling is grounded in a shared love for one thing: Studebakers.

The question is, will that single connection be strong enough to keep the forum membership bonded when more and more off-topic subjects reveal our many and distinct differences on other levels? We'll find out, I reckon.

Regarding the Lincoln Forum... yes, they do have The Lounge BUT even that didn't really solve anything. In fact, the arguing got so bad there that the administrator was forced to go one step further and create a totally private forum, "The War Room". I'll advocate closing down the forum before going that far.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

How about just The Pit?

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

How about just The Pit?

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

True enough about the war room; I've never gone into that, even once- in fact that was when my interest in that forum really plummeted. When I do check in to the Lounge, I can hit-and-run and move on, without going into the actual car stuff, most of which I don't currently need.

The problem over there is that the administrators allowed the sick people to have an ever-growing place. These are separate from politics, religion, etc. that aren't allowed there. They're the trolls, and the types that want to make inflammatory comments just for the sake of stirring up trouble. Instead of cutting that stuff off at the outset, moderators get into it themselves encouraging a free-for-all! I have no idea why anyone would want to be a part of that; I don't, so my involvement over there waned. There are those who still get their jollies being racist, sexist, anti-American, need to be foul-mouthed, and any number of mental illnesses. Instead of banning that garbage, I assume that's who the War Room was created for. I'll never know- or care. I voiced my concern over this- those posts are still there- but it fell on deaf ears. I have no hard feelings, as I don't NEED any forum; so I just shrugged and left.

On these forums, this stuff has been nipped in the bud. Another difference is the membership here does a pretty decent job of policing that also; the malcontents are slapped down, or group-ignored.

This is why I think this new page will be a great addition- still the same great group, just a place we can share and converse, without having to put "OT" in our thread title

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

True enough about the war room; I've never gone into that, even once- in fact that was when my interest in that forum really plummeted. When I do check in to the Lounge, I can hit-and-run and move on, without going into the actual car stuff, most of which I don't currently need.

The problem over there is that the administrators allowed the sick people to have an ever-growing place. These are separate from politics, religion, etc. that aren't allowed there. They're the trolls, and the types that want to make inflammatory comments just for the sake of stirring up trouble. Instead of cutting that stuff off at the outset, moderators get into it themselves encouraging a free-for-all! I have no idea why anyone would want to be a part of that; I don't, so my involvement over there waned. There are those who still get their jollies being racist, sexist, anti-American, need to be foul-mouthed, and any number of mental illnesses. Instead of banning that garbage, I assume that's who the War Room was created for. I'll never know- or care. I voiced my concern over this- those posts are still there- but it fell on deaf ears. I have no hard feelings, as I don't NEED any forum; so I just shrugged and left.

On these forums, this stuff has been nipped in the bud. Another difference is the membership here does a pretty decent job of policing that also; the malcontents are slapped down, or group-ignored.

This is why I think this new page will be a great addition- still the same great group, just a place we can share and converse, without having to put "OT" in our thread title

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                      X