Andy Granatelli, Happy 85th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Granatelli, Happy 85th!

On the chance, however slight, he might drop in and lurk, today (3/18) marks his 85th birthday. "Mr. 500" as in Indianapolis Motor Speedway! Do you still have that white STP 'pajama' suit?

Western Washington, USA

Andy and his automotive antics caught my attention as a kid in the 60's, and having kept up with his career as well as I could, I'd say he'd be a great guest at a big Stude meet.
    Has he ever attended a South Bend (or other) meet?

Chris Pile
    StudeFolk Manager
    Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Andy and his automotive antics caught my attention as a kid in the 60's, and having kept up with his career as well as I could, I'd say he'd be a great guest at a big Stude meet.
      Has he ever attended a South Bend (or other) meet?

Chris Pile
      StudeFolk Manager
      Tiny, custom domain, branded, url shortener, edit URL redirect, tinylink
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

When he wrote his book, They Call Me Mr. 500, I wrote him a letter with questions about the Novi engine. He sent a personal letter back. I still have it.

And another Granatelli story. When I started fooling with cars, I put a torque wrench on my Christmas list. My dad went to our local Sears to buy one. He told me later that as he was trying to decide between a bending beam torque wrench and a clicker type, a man who looked just like Andy Granatelli, complete down to the trench coat, came over to him and told him to buy the bending beam one. It was the only kind he used. Now, was that really Andy Granatelli in Somerville, NJ? Who knows. But my dad and I went to USAC Indy car races, so he exactly knew what Mr. 500 looked like. And he said the fellow in Sears looked just like him. And I still have that torque wrench, too.

Alan Mende
        Hummelstown, PA
        Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

When he wrote his book, They Call Me Mr. 500, I wrote him a letter with questions about the Novi engine. He sent a personal letter back. I still have it.

And another Granatelli story. When I started fooling with cars, I put a torque wrench on my Christmas list. My dad went to our local Sears to buy one. He told me later that as he was trying to decide between a bending beam torque wrench and a clicker type, a man who looked just like Andy Granatelli, complete down to the trench coat, came over to him and told him to buy the bending beam one. It was the only kind he used. Now, was that really Andy Granatelli in Somerville, NJ? Who knows. But my dad and I went to USAC Indy car races, so he exactly knew what Mr. 500 looked like. And he said the fellow in Sears looked just like him. And I still have that torque wrench, too.

Alan Mende
          Hummelstown, PA
          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
          Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Just for fun, I'd like his autograph on a model or a photo of my Avanti.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just for fun, I'd like his autograph on a model or a photo of my Avanti.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I bought the large photo of him at the Indy 500 that was auctioned at the SNM the night he was inducted into the Studebaker Hall of Fame and after the dinner and all of the festivities were over he autographed it and I got to talk to him for about 30 minutes. Lots of great insights on his days at Studebaker and his Avanti adventures. It was too bad I did not have my 63 Avanti R-2 with me as Mr. Boyle said it would have been nice to have him autograph it also.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I bought the large photo of him at the Indy 500 that was auctioned at the SNM the night he was inducted into the Studebaker Hall of Fame and after the dinner and all of the festivities were over he autographed it and I got to talk to him for about 30 minutes. Lots of great insights on his days at Studebaker and his Avanti adventures. It was too bad I did not have my 63 Avanti R-2 with me as Mr. Boyle said it would have been nice to have him autograph it also.

Comment

I have a picture that I took of Andy, Vince, & Gordon Buehrig at the Barrett-Jackson auction several years ago. Andy had just purchased a Duesenburg. Gordon passed away that next year. I go visit Andy's son Vince from time to time. He tells some interesting stories and occasionaly he gets Andy on the phone.
                    Denny L

Comment

I have a picture that I took of Andy, Vince, & Gordon Buehrig at the Barrett-Jackson auction several years ago. Andy had just purchased a Duesenburg. Gordon passed away that next year. I go visit Andy's son Vince from time to time. He tells some interesting stories and occasionaly he gets Andy on the phone.
                      Denny L

Comment

AOAI honored him with a lifetime membership for all of his achievements involving the Avanti

Comment

AOAI honored him with a lifetime membership for all of his achievements involving the Avanti

Comment

Andy Granatelli is a great man, and a true "National Treasure" if ever there was one. The stories this man can tell are truly amazing. And what an honor for those of us in the Studebaker hobby to have him as "one of us," who can appreciate the true greatness of the cars that could come only from a company that had to do everything on a shoestring!

Happy Birthday, Mr. 500!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Andy Granatelli is a great man, and a true "National Treasure" if ever there was one. The stories this man can tell are truly amazing. And what an honor for those of us in the Studebaker hobby to have him as "one of us," who can appreciate the true greatness of the cars that could come only from a company that had to do everything on a shoestring!

Happy Birthday, Mr. 500!

Comment

Working...
                              X