49 electrical system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 electrical system

I just purchased a 49 that needs quite abit of rewiring.
    Are they positive ground systems/
    Dick

Yes, they are 6 volt positive ground.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Yes, they are 6 volt positive ground.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

If you add where you live to your signature line makes it easier for us to help locally.

Mabel 1949 Champion
        1957 Silverhawk
        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        1955 President State
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

If you add where you live to your signature line makes it easier for us to help locally.

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Depending on what you're planning to do with this car, there's two ways (maybe 3) you can go. Personally, I'd opt for new harness(s) from Studebakers West. I think they'll provide them with the original cloth-covered wire or more modern plastic. Either way, the color codes will match the original wiring diagrams.
            If you're gonna hot rod it, one of the aftermarket universal wiring kits might do ya. The third (and least optimal approach) is to buy a bunch of spools of wire, terminal, looming or tape and devise your own.
            If you buy a harness from SW, even tho it's guaged for 6volts, it'll work fine (better actually!) with 12volts should you choose to go that route later.

If you replace ANY of the heavy cables associated with the starter or battery, be sure they're of the adequate gage to handle the 6volt systems higher amperage. Just grabbing the biggest ones you see in a blister-pack display at Kragen (or the like) isn't gonna cut it. You really oughta have one ought or bigger for 6volts. That and super-clean, super-secure points of termination/connection.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Depending on what you're planning to do with this car, there's two ways (maybe 3) you can go. Personally, I'd opt for new harness(s) from Studebakers West. I think they'll provide them with the original cloth-covered wire or more modern plastic. Either way, the color codes will match the original wiring diagrams.
              If you're gonna hot rod it, one of the aftermarket universal wiring kits might do ya. The third (and least optimal approach) is to buy a bunch of spools of wire, terminal, looming or tape and devise your own.
              If you buy a harness from SW, even tho it's guaged for 6volts, it'll work fine (better actually!) with 12volts should you choose to go that route later.

If you replace ANY of the heavy cables associated with the starter or battery, be sure they're of the adequate gage to handle the 6volt systems higher amperage. Just grabbing the biggest ones you see in a blister-pack display at Kragen (or the like) isn't gonna cut it. You really oughta have one ought or bigger for 6volts. That and super-clean, super-secure points of termination/connection.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dickg

Dick
                Positve ground and be carefull as it is hard to think against the norm when doing the re-wiring or adding after market items. Some early VW radios are positive ground it you want to replace your radio.

Go out and find the biggest, thickest battery cable you can find, those 6V positive ground systems draw an amazing amount of amperage. You also might want to run an extra cable to the starter to prevent any hot starting problems. Also wrap aluminum foil around the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb to prevent vapor lock once you get it running.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dickg

Dick
                  Positve ground and be carefull as it is hard to think against the norm when doing the re-wiring or adding after market items. Some early VW radios are positive ground it you want to replace your radio.

Go out and find the biggest, thickest battery cable you can find, those 6V positive ground systems draw an amazing amount of amperage. You also might want to run an extra cable to the starter to prevent any hot starting problems. Also wrap aluminum foil around the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb to prevent vapor lock once you get it running.

Comment

If your re-wiring and changing to 12 volt does that change it from positive ground to negative?

Comment

If your re-wiring and changing to 12 volt does that change it from positive ground to negative?

Comment

quote: If your re-wiring and changing to 12 volt does that change it from positive ground to negative?
                        Yes. I have never heard of a 12 volt positive ground system except in my friend's 1914 Haynes.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote: If your re-wiring and changing to 12 volt does that change it from positive ground to negative?
                          Yes. I have never heard of a 12 volt positive ground system except in my friend's 1914 Haynes.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks LSTUDE Ill have to remember that!

Comment

Thanks LSTUDE Ill have to remember that!

Comment

Working...
                              X