Smoking 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking 63 Avanti

I drove my R2 Avanti to a funeral today and noticed it smoking when I was driving slow in the parking lot. Looked like a mosquito fogger. It was smoking so bad I was ashamed to drive with the cars to the gravesite. I went a different route and it smoked all the way over to the cemetery. It didn't seem as bad at highway speed on the way home. But as soon as I let it idle it was smoking out the left exhaust. The smoke looks like an engine that needs valve seals. It was smoking when first started and at idle when I bought it 2 years ago, but I replaced the valve seals and it stopped I have only drove it about 100 miles since replacing them. Doesn't seem to have a miss on left bank. Any suggestions?

Find a long downgrade and let it coast with your foot off the gas, at the bottom of the hill stomp it and see what the exhaust looks like. Sounds like a valve guide job is in store.

Comment

Possibly the remnants of an old crumbly stem seal may have found its way into the return hole in the lower rear of the cylinder head. Simple and easy, I'd pull the left valve cover and stick the dip stick down that return hole to see if it's stopped up. I've seen it happen before. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
      Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

It was a small oak leaf over the return hole. We figured it out a few months ago. You nailed it Road Race Lark. Too bad dad wasn't around to see the fix. He parked this Avanti then moved on to his Hawk. Chemo and painkillers were not his friends.

Comment

Thanks for advising the solution for the Avanti!

Sorry for your loss of you Dad, BTDT. Pretty amazing that you post a solution 9 years after the question was asked.

Now, take it out and enjoy the car!
          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Agreed, thank for letting us know... but how did an oak leaf get on the return hole?

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
            Thanks for advising the solution for the Avanti!

Sorry for your loss of you Dad, BTDT. Pretty amazing that you post a solution 9 years after the question was asked.

Now, take it out and enjoy the car!
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Oak leaf?, some things we are better off NOT knowing. Glad the problem is solved; now DRIVE that Avanti and enjoy it. (Mine is snuggled down under a cover for the winter here in Iowa.)

Comment

Working...
              X