Bypass Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypass Oil Filter

As was recommended by several members, I replaced the OEM Duocron spin-on oil filter with a WIX 51050. (57 Silver Hawk-289)
    The old filter was as dry as a bone and I don't see where circulating oil enters the filter ( old or new). Also, as one cannot add oil to filter before spinning on upside down, how does the filter receive oil for filtering?
    BTW, since my last post, have verified it is a 289,fabricated a hood release,hooked up elect. choke, adjusted carb. reset timing,done some re-wiring, inspected entire undercarriage , etc.. This stuff is a little less complex for me compared to trying to figure out how oil is filtered ![xx(] All appears to be in good to excellent condition, so far !
    Thanks,

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
    Lancaster,CA
    1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Oil is forced in and out by oil pressure, even upside down.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
        63 Lark 2 door
        57 Wagon

Thanks, JDP- But, why does the old filter show no signs of ever having had oil in it ? Low pressure? The existing dash gage does not appear to be even-semi-accurate, so I will try the "Harbor Freight" under-hood gage procedure I read about on the forum..

Lancaster,CA

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
          63 Lark 2 door
          57 Wagon

Thanks, JDP- But, why does the old filter show no signs of ever having had oil in it ? Low pressure? The existing dash gage does not appear to be even-semi-accurate, so I will try the "Harbor Freight" under-hood gage procedure I read about on the forum..

Lancaster,CA

Comment

why does the old filter show no signs of ever having had oil in it

There should be a .040 or so restriction in the line. A piece of dirt could have plugged that restriction, allowing no oil to go through

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President State Sedan
            (Under Construction) 134 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

There should be a .040 or so restriction in the line. A piece of dirt could have plugged that restriction, allowing no oil to go through

Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '55 President State Sedan
              (Under Construction) 134 hrs.
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Tom B

Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                TOM, JDP: Discovered that there is an oil line missing, the filter mounting base plate has an opening with a nut on the bottom side, there is no line or tube attached, therefore, no oil was/is being sent thru filter. Somehow, I need to contact the owner prior to the e-Bay seller ( he only bought for quick resale) to determine what exactly was/was not done . A new Edelbrock intake manifold and carb. were added recently, in addition to several other items. Apparently, the prior owner left several items unfinished.....(for the "newbie" to guess how to fix)
                Thanks again, you are all a tremendous help, don't know what I'd do without a computer, the SDC and the internet.

Lancaster,CA

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Tom B

Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe
                  TOM, JDP: Discovered that there is an oil line missing, the filter mounting base plate has an opening with a nut on the bottom side, there is no line or tube attached, therefore, no oil was/is being sent thru filter. Somehow, I need to contact the owner prior to the e-Bay seller ( he only bought for quick resale) to determine what exactly was/was not done . A new Edelbrock intake manifold and carb. were added recently, in addition to several other items. Apparently, the prior owner left several items unfinished.....(for the "newbie" to guess how to fix)
                  Thanks again, you are all a tremendous help, don't know what I'd do without a computer, the SDC and the internet.

Lancaster,CA

Comment

Thats interesting Boomer, since JDP, last I heard was in Maryland and I know where you are, I used to live for a short time in Lancaster, CA. [:0]

So I guess we missed something, you must have emailed him a Pic or something unless he is telepathic! LOL!

I think the answer to all of this is pretty simple...we have a term for it, it's called being a CASO! Cheap A** Studebaker Owner!

The former, FO did not want to spend a buck to do it right, and neither did the FO! If it had a leak or something, that would "fix" it!

quote:Originally posted by boomer

TOM, JDP: Discovered that there is an oil line missing, the filter mounting base plate has an opening with a nut on the bottom side, there is no line or tube attached, therefore, no oil was/is being sent thru filter.
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thats interesting Boomer, since JDP, last I heard was in Maryland and I know where you are, I used to live for a short time in Lancaster, CA. [:0]

So I guess we missed something, you must have emailed him a Pic or something unless he is telepathic! LOL!

I think the answer to all of this is pretty simple...we have a term for it, it's called being a CASO! Cheap A** Studebaker Owner!

The former, FO did not want to spend a buck to do it right, and neither did the FO! If it had a leak or something, that would "fix" it!

quote:Originally posted by boomer

TOM, JDP: Discovered that there is an oil line missing, the filter mounting base plate has an opening with a nut on the bottom side, there is no line or tube attached, therefore, no oil was/is being sent thru filter.
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X