Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker Champ trucks really do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker Champ trucks really do that?

I was surfing the net the other day and I ran across someone who mentioned that Studebaker used Dodge pickup boxes on their Champ trucks. Is this true? I had never heard that and was curious. If so, what years? All of them or just some? Thanks for the info!!

It's true, all the flat sided beds were made with Chyrsler tooling and that's why they don't match the cab very well.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

It's true, all the flat sided beds were made with Chyrsler tooling and that's why they don't match the cab very well.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

To be a bit more precise, Budd had made the beds for Dodge (it was a Dodge design, of course) and Studebaker got permission to use the tooling to make this bed for use on Champs. This was the year AFTER Dodge had changed the design of their pickup boxes, so the tooling was only being called upon (for Dodge's needs) to supply any repair parts that they might need down the road, so to speak.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

To be a bit more precise, Budd had made the beds for Dodge (it was a Dodge design, of course) and Studebaker got permission to use the tooling to make this bed for use on Champs. This was the year AFTER Dodge had changed the design of their pickup boxes, so the tooling was only being called upon (for Dodge's needs) to supply any repair parts that they might need down the road, so to speak.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I wonder....

are there more Stude-Budd boxes around today than Dodge-Budd boxes? I don't see any old Dodge trucks running around, but, I only see Champs on here, too...hmmm....

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

I wonder....

are there more Stude-Budd boxes around today than Dodge-Budd boxes? I don't see any old Dodge trucks running around, but, I only see Champs on here, too...hmmm....

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,839.60
                63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                63 Lark 2 door
                57 Wagon

That explains why I like the earlier Champs better....

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,839.60
                  63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  57 Wagon

That explains why I like the earlier Champs better....

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

Budd also made the beds for the M5 and M15 pickups from 1941-48. The M truck beds are nearly identical to the ones that Budd made for Dodge/Plymouth/Fargo back to 1933-1935 and up until 1947. The stake pockets are only slightly different. However, Dodge switched to wood floors about 1936. Even the doors in M trucks were made by Budd. I'm pretty sure Budd made the beds for the C-cab trucks, too. So, the Budd-Dodge-Studebaker relationship was an old one.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Budd also made the beds for the M5 and M15 pickups from 1941-48. The M truck beds are nearly identical to the ones that Budd made for Dodge/Plymouth/Fargo back to 1933-1935 and up until 1947. The stake pockets are only slightly different. However, Dodge switched to wood floors about 1936. Even the doors in M trucks were made by Budd. I'm pretty sure Budd made the beds for the C-cab trucks, too. So, the Budd-Dodge-Studebaker relationship was an old one.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Richad Quinn can provide the facts on how Studebaker ended upmakinh pick up boxes for Dodge.

Interesting: The New Avanti Motors was making step side pick up boxes for Dodge as an after market item for dealers and specialty shops.

Comment

Richad Quinn can provide the facts on how Studebaker ended upmakinh pick up boxes for Dodge.

Interesting: The New Avanti Motors was making step side pick up boxes for Dodge as an after market item for dealers and specialty shops.

Comment

Otis Romine is the one who was responsible for designing the Champ truck. He did itas he liked to say wit a $20.00 design budget. He was also the one who realized that Studebaker needed a Wide -box (Spaceside) bed. He also knew he did not have the $$$$$ necessary to design and tool the box. So as he always did he got creative went to the Chrysler folks and for $100K boght the tooling for their Swept side bed used in the 59 and 60 model years. Yes, there was work to be done but it was minimal. The changes made included replacing the curved front panel of the bed with a straight one and changing the tailgate so Studebaker could be syamped into it. Also this bed was a single wallcontruction unlike the former double wall used in the past. While the bed was a little big looking it gave Studeaker a type of bed the public wanted. The Studebaker Parts department labeled this bed as a P2. The former bed was kept as a option and was know as a P1. The first trucks to have the Spaceside bed rolled off the SB assembly line in Jan 1961 and it was introduced at the 53rd Annual Chicago Auto Show during the week of Feb 18-26, 1961. The bed was available in a 61/2 and 8 foot length. It was also used only on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. Since it was a late model change to the 1961 model only approximately 750 1/2 ton trucks were made with the P2 bed.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Otis Romine is the one who was responsible for designing the Champ truck. He did itas he liked to say wit a $20.00 design budget. He was also the one who realized that Studebaker needed a Wide -box (Spaceside) bed. He also knew he did not have the $$$$$ necessary to design and tool the box. So as he always did he got creative went to the Chrysler folks and for $100K boght the tooling for their Swept side bed used in the 59 and 60 model years. Yes, there was work to be done but it was minimal. The changes made included replacing the curved front panel of the bed with a straight one and changing the tailgate so Studebaker could be syamped into it. Also this bed was a single wallcontruction unlike the former double wall used in the past. While the bed was a little big looking it gave Studeaker a type of bed the public wanted. The Studebaker Parts department labeled this bed as a P2. The former bed was kept as a option and was know as a P1. The first trucks to have the Spaceside bed rolled off the SB assembly line in Jan 1961 and it was introduced at the 53rd Annual Chicago Auto Show during the week of Feb 18-26, 1961. The bed was available in a 61/2 and 8 foot length. It was also used only on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. Since it was a late model change to the 1961 model only approximately 750 1/2 ton trucks were made with the P2 bed.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X