Tight dash cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight dash cover

I bought a (SI) dash cover for my 63 Daytona project and notice it's an almost too tight fit. Don't really want to pound this thing on. The dash isn't back in the car yet and I realize it'll be easier to use clamps while it's on the workbench.
    Anyone have the same dilemma? I'm hesitant to apply heat and sure don't want to clip the sides off, for goodness sakes. Looks like I slather the silicone and squeeze everything on.

Western Washington, USA

I spoke at length with a fellow chapter member (mechanic) who installed the cap on a 63' Lark. He insisted that you need to trim & heat in order to get it to fit. He told me it took him ~4+ hours to get the thing done. I'm assuming removal & install......

Comment

I spoke at length with a fellow chapter member (mechanic) who installed the cap on a 63' Lark. He insisted that you need to trim & heat in order to get it to fit. He told me it took him ~4+ hours to get the thing done. I'm assuming removal & install......

Comment

Good heavens, Jack. For what you pay you'd think they could be made ready to go on without too much fuss.

Comment

Good heavens, Jack. For what you pay you'd think they could be made ready to go on without too much fuss.

Comment

Tom, on all of the '63's I have seen including the 3 we have here, the right hand front corner in front of the glove box opening is lifting from shrinkage and sun exposure, and would be the worst part to get a cover to go over. I don't think they could be expected to fit all of the different shapes of these old dashes. Everyone I have ever talked to that has installed one said the same thing "what a B**** to install"!

So I guess all you can do is hang in there, lube it up, heat it a bit and stretch that sucker! [:0]

We're all here to help ya know!!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tom, on all of the '63's I have seen including the 3 we have here, the right hand front corner in front of the glove box opening is lifting from shrinkage and sun exposure, and would be the worst part to get a cover to go over. I don't think they could be expected to fit all of the different shapes of these old dashes. Everyone I have ever talked to that has installed one said the same thing "what a B**** to install"!

So I guess all you can do is hang in there, lube it up, heat it a bit and stretch that sucker! [:0]

We're all here to help ya know!!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I managed to get it 'snapped in' with a minimum of frustration, knowing it's one of those [u]pita</u> moments.

Thanks for the advice!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

I managed to get it 'snapped in' with a minimum of frustration, knowing it's one of those [u]pita</u> moments.

Thanks for the advice!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

My feeling is all of the repo dashes have the same(do'nt fit problem)5 years ago my Father bought a dash from SI for his Avanti.and it would NOT fit,so he drove all the way to IN. and he and to other fellas picked through the pile of dashes and got the best one.got all the way home and it fit a little better,but not real pleasing and so noe I live with it !like you said it should at least fit without force !

Joseph R. Zeiger
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

My feeling is all of the repo dashes have the same(do'nt fit problem)5 years ago my Father bought a dash from SI for his Avanti.and it would NOT fit,so he drove all the way to IN. and he and to other fellas picked through the pile of dashes and got the best one.got all the way home and it fit a little better,but not real pleasing and so noe I live with it !like you said it should at least fit without force !

Joseph R. Zeiger
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Speaking of which, anybody heard from Calvin lately???

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Speaking of which, anybody heard from Calvin lately???

Comment

When I did mine Tom on my 1963 Daytona I peeled the old dash completely off. It works much better that way.

1957 Packard Clipper
                            1958 Golden Hawk
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1963 R2 Daytona
                            1963 R2 GT Hawk
                            1963 R1 Wagonaire
                            1963 R4 Avanti
                            1964 Champ
                            1966 Cruiser

Comment

When I did mine Tom on my 1963 Daytona I peeled the old dash completely off. It works much better that way.

1957 Packard Clipper
                              1958 Golden Hawk
                              1963 Daytona Convertible
                              1963 R2 Daytona
                              1963 R2 GT Hawk
                              1963 R1 Wagonaire
                              1963 R4 Avanti
                              1964 Champ
                              1966 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X