fluorescent lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fluorescent lights

Just saw a picture of a garage with fluorescent ceiling lights. Just a comment from someone in shaky country, I had a small earthquake shake some of the bulbs out and they dropped on a car. I have since rigged up retainers to catch the bulbs if they come out again. Used coat hangers to fit around the light assemblies.

This does not apply to most of you out there since your carage would never experience a 'quake, large wind gust, ets. Just food for thought.

Good thought. I have known of flourescent tubes to fall out for unknown reasons. Years ago I had one fall onto the table saw in my school shop just after the students using it walked away. The ceiling was about 12 feet high.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Good thought. I have known of flourescent tubes to fall out for unknown reasons. Years ago I had one fall onto the table saw in my school shop just after the students using it walked away. The ceiling was about 12 feet high.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Not a bad idea..
        I would soup up this idea with the plastic tube bulb liners sold at the home store..
        (to keep them contained if they did break)
        And I would use some solid copper, insulated wire(peel it out of some scrap Romex),rather than a coat hanger.
        (a little cusioning can't hurt... I hate the thought of steel on glass)
        Just thinkin' out loud..
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doug

Just saw a picture of a garage with fluorescent ceiling lights. Just a comment from someone in shaky country, I had a small earthquake shake some of the bulbs out and they dropped on a car. I have since rigged up retainers to catch the bulbs if they come out again. Used coat hangers to fit around the light assemblies.

This does not apply to most of you out there since your carage would never experience a 'quake, large wind gust, ets. Just food for thought.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Not a bad idea..
          I would soup up this idea with the plastic tube bulb liners sold at the home store..
          (to keep them contained if they did break)
          And I would use some solid copper, insulated wire(peel it out of some scrap Romex),rather than a coat hanger.
          (a little cusioning can't hurt... I hate the thought of steel on glass)
          Just thinkin' out loud..
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doug

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And if you are building a garage, use recessed fluorescent fixtures with a plastic diffuser panel. There are also surface-mount fixtures with plastic snap-in diffusers.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

And if you are building a garage, use recessed fluorescent fixtures with a plastic diffuser panel. There are also surface-mount fixtures with plastic snap-in diffusers.

Comment

For a second I was thinking you all were going to talk about ground effects lighting under your rocker panels...

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

For a second I was thinking you all were going to talk about ground effects lighting under your rocker panels...

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

Comment

Or using 12-volt flourescents as dome lights. The '53 only has that underdash map light; no dome light at all.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Or using 12-volt flourescents as dome lights. The '53 only has that underdash map light; no dome light at all.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                        For years, school gymnasiums have had wire guards around the flourescent lights, and any other fixture prone to damage from flying balls, etc. If you could source some of those from an electrical wholesaler, it would save a lot of work of having to fabricate your own.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                          For years, school gymnasiums have had wire guards around the flourescent lights, and any other fixture prone to damage from flying balls, etc. If you could source some of those from an electrical wholesaler, it would save a lot of work of having to fabricate your own.

Craig

Comment

All the Home Depot / Lowes stores near me sell new flourescent light assemblies with wire shields/guards. And if you get them with non-magnetic ballasts they are pretty quiet.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                            Packrat junk collector
                            '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

All the Home Depot / Lowes stores near me sell new flourescent light assemblies with wire shields/guards. And if you get them with non-magnetic ballasts they are pretty quiet.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                              Packrat junk collector
                              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X