Application Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application Question

I have a question concerning the application of some bumber extensions (wing guards?). I got these as a present about two years ago. I have all four of them and they are in perfect shape. I was told they were for a 1962 lark model but was also under the assumption that the 1962 lark bumpers were pretty similiar to that of the 1961 lark bumpers.

Anyways, I "mock" fitted thes extension to my front and rear bumper and they seem to fit like a glove. This is where I am undecided. If I choose to put these on, I would have to drill two bolt holes for each guard (4 guards at 2 holes a piece)into my bumpers and then find the matching bumper bolts. This is no problem, if I wish to keep these on.

What I would like to know, for the sake of keeping this as close to "year" correct, is if these guards were available in 1961 as an option too. IMHO I think they would look good on the car but if they aren't factory correct for that year, I might have to hold off.

Sorry for the long winded explanation and thank you.

;

1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

quote:Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr

I have a question concerning the application of some bumber extensions (wing guards?). I got these as a present about two years ago. I have all four of them and they are in perfect shape. I was told they were for a 1962 lark model but was also under the assumption that the 1962 lark bumpers were pretty similiar to that of the 1961 lark bumpers.

Anyways, I "mock" fitted thes extension to my front and rear bumper and they seem to fit like a glove. This is where I am undecided. If I choose to put these on, I would have to drill two bolt holes for each guard (4 guards at 2 holes a piece)into my bumpers and then find the matching bumper bolts. This is no problem, if I wish to keep these on.

What I would like to know, for the sake of keeping this as close to "year" correct, is if these guards were available in 1961 as an option too. IMHO I think they would look good on the car but if they aren't factory correct for that year, I might have to hold off.

;

I'm certainly not an expert, but my original parts book states the AC-3223 extension kit was available from 1959 to 1963 for bumpers, so they should be correct. I'm not sure those extensions were available before 1962, but the factory book states they will fit those earlier year models and were an option at least after that. If you get the later bumpers they bolt right in, but if your car is like mine the brackets are different. Hate to see you drill holes in good stock bumpers. I have a good quality bumper contact if you want one. He was at York and almost sold every bumper he took there.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr

;

I'm certainly not an expert, but my original parts book states the AC-3223 extension kit was available from 1959 to 1963 for bumpers, so they should be correct. I'm not sure those extensions were available before 1962, but the factory book states they will fit those earlier year models and were an option at least after that. If you get the later bumpers they bolt right in, but if your car is like mine the brackets are different. Hate to see you drill holes in good stock bumpers. I have a good quality bumper contact if you want one. He was at York and almost sold every bumper he took there.

Comment

The downside is you may have to replace them every year or two, the chrome is crap.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
        63 Lark 2 door
        57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

The downside is you may have to replace them every year or two, the chrome is crap.

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
          63 Lark 2 door
          57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

I don't have his bumpers on my car, but without further slandering, I've seen worse. The seller isn't the chrome plater. I know where they were chromed. Top quality steel chrome jobs cost a lot more, usually and I would never trust my pot metal there, ever, but his steel bumpers are pretty decent. The seller is "quality", as well, and a friend. There were at least TWO bumper vendors at York, I'm told, and my friend sold almost all of his that he brought there...over thirty pairs compared to the other. He is a long time club member and stands by his bumpers, and HAS for ten years. He said, "..none have come back, yet." If mine flake off I will have him take care of both without concern.

Comment

I don't have his bumpers on my car, but without further slandering, I've seen worse. The seller isn't the chrome plater. I know where they were chromed. Top quality steel chrome jobs cost a lot more, usually and I would never trust my pot metal there, ever, but his steel bumpers are pretty decent. The seller is "quality", as well, and a friend. There were at least TWO bumper vendors at York, I'm told, and my friend sold almost all of his that he brought there...over thirty pairs compared to the other. He is a long time club member and stands by his bumpers, and HAS for ten years. He said, "..none have come back, yet." If mine flake off I will have him take care of both without concern.

Comment

The NOS ones are $30/pair, but the factory chrome is not very poor.

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,839.60
                63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                63 Lark 2 door
                57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

The NOS ones are $30/pair, but the factory chrome is not very poor.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,839.60
                  63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Bumpers are $300

Comment

Bumpers are $300

Comment