Pilot bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot bushing removal

Anyone have any idea how to remove the pilot bushing from a 64 Avanti R1 (probably the same for all v8s). the book says use a suitable puller (whatever that one is) or bust it out with a sharp screwdriver. I neglected to do this last time, but I really would like to change it this time around. The engine is in the car and it is difficult to swing a hammer to do the sharp screwdriver thing.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Find a 3/8 or 1/4" drive socket in your toolbox that fits tightly in the bushing, and then fill the crank end and socket recess completely with grease (no air bubbles).

Then, put a short socket extension in the socket to hold onto and hit with a hammer with sharp taps, the grease will puch out the bushing. You might need to add grease a few times, but this will work!

54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

Comment

Just go to your flaps and beg/borrow/rent, or buy this tool..

I have found that using the grease/hammer hydraulic bushing removal method on a badly worn bushing is very, very sloppy, even with a tight fit.
      And cleaning up afterwards is no fun either. (Shut up Calvin[}])
      This tool will pull out your old bushing very nicely.
      Hope the info helps...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 64studeavanti

Anyone have any idea how to remove the pilot bushing from a 64 Avanti R1 (probably the same for all v8s). the book says use a suitable puller (whatever that one is) or bust it out with a sharp screwdriver. I neglected to do this last time, but I really would like to change it this time around. The engine is in the car and it is difficult to swing a hammer to do the sharp screwdriver thing.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This can sometimes be done with a pair of snap-ring pliers in the "expand" mode.

Jim Bradley
        Lewistown PA
        '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I'm off to autozone. If I can't find the tool, I'll try the grease!!
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
          X