PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Biggs - the rest of the story.

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
I wrote all but the first coupe paragraphs of this a few years back. Let's see if you like it.:D

"It was a dark and stormy night. Bilbo Biggs was working in his new shop
building on a new Studebaker carburetor, known only to him, and was
impatiently looking forward to testing it out.
Intent on his work, Biggs scarcely noticed
the lovely Marie enter his blacksmith shop. His loyal
dog Speedster took the opportunity of the open door
to slip out into the warm spring sunshine.
The lovely Marie gazed longingly at Biggs' ruggedly handsome profile as
nimble fingers of the world's
greatest carburetor inventor finished the last critical
adjustment. She dared not interrupt him and was just
grateful just to be in his presence. Her sultry brown
eyes rolled upward at the sheer ecstasy of his
inventor's charisma. Her clear olive skinned flushed
and she let out an small moan and her body shuddered
as Biggs beckoned her closer.
Completely unaware of the lovely Marie's attraction
to him, Biggs proceeded to explain the carburetor's
possible applications of the carburetor in the next century.
"Darling!", he exclaimed, "Just look at this. Eli Whitney
and Samuel Fulton were wrong. Doing it this way is going to revolutionize
the soon-to-be world of automobiles.
Biggs was innocently oblivious to the blinking look of bewilderment on the lovely Marie's charming face. Of course, that look was there because Marie had never heard of the word "automobile".

Biggs had tried, unsuccessfully, to interest the Studebaker brothers in his
invention. He'd been trying to sell them on his invention since 1874. It was true that he'd found himself in a rare moment of speechlessness when the brothers asked Bilbo just HOW such a device might be fitted to a horse.[xx(] That confounding inquiry had temporarily shelved Bilbo's work on a fuel moderator device.
Now,
in the 4th year of a new century (1904), it appeared they might relent to at
least hearing Biggs' proposals. Even if that relent were to come about in horse-before-the-cart fashion!

You see, the brothers had given the nod to fitting one of the (then) new-fangled Gasoline
motors to one of their buggies. Already, the success of their electric
vehicles were causing somewhat of a charged atmosphere.
Their creedo "Always Give More Than You Promise" and the lesser known
byline "Ahead of Their Time" made the brothers consider getting on the
horseless bugg....er, bandwagon.
The very first Studebaker gasoline-powered cars were 2-cylinder models
known as the "202". Now, in spite of their resistance to Biggs' constant persuasions up to 1904,
the Brothers had given free reign to an in-house tinkerer (already in their employ) to develop a
viable control unit for these early gas buggies. This was in no small part
due to said "inventor" (one Jedediah Tuttle) being
an in-law of the clan. Although Jedediah had a primary job of keeping the
kiln fires roaring, he'd often spend his lunch periods in the company
foundry. There he learned the intricacies of one, two, and four barrels. Not
to be confused with various variants of carburetors, these barrels (Oak in
most cases) contained the different metals, in powder form, that were mixed
to make alloys.
Now, while the brothers never observed Jedediah's results first-hand,
they did get feedback from the foundry foreman as to his doings. And while
he was a bit surprized when he got called to corporate offices one day,
Jedediah quickly surmized he was either gonna get a promotion or a formal
invite to the prayer barbeque the brothers held each sunday.
So he was, to say the least, caught off guard when John and Peter
abruptly asked Jedediah if he thought he could devise a fuel-dispensing unit
that would enable more refined control of the gas motor than the existing
method of ignition on - ignition off.
Without hesitation, Jedediah accepted their challenge. He toiled, day and
night, in a tiny, dirty corner of the foundry shop. While he co

10-14-2006, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Mr.Biggs asks: "Would you like to hear more???[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Too much time on your hands again Bob? :):)
Love it anyhow- please finish the story.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

10-14-2006, 06:47 PM

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Too much time on your hands again Bob? :):)
Love it anyhow- please finish the story.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

BobPalma
10-14-2006, 07:22 PM

I wrote all but the first coupe paragraphs of this a few years back. Let's see if you like it.:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

[:p] YES, YES, more...and quickly, too: Many of us will not be able to rest our weary bones until we hear "the rest of the story..." :) BP

BobPalma
10-14-2006, 07:22 PM

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

[:p] YES, YES, more...and quickly, too: Many of us will not be able to rest our weary bones until we hear "the rest of the story..." :) BP

41 Frank
10-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes ,Yes, more, more,time is moving along here in the central time zone.I won't be able to close my eyes tonight unless the outcome becomes known forthwith.

41 Frank
10-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes ,Yes, more, more,time is moving along here in the central time zone.I won't be able to close my eyes tonight unless the outcome becomes known forthwith.

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Man! you guys seem to think this is something for Readers Digest! Installments - installments![}:)]

OK , so.....

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Man! you guys seem to think this is something for Readers Digest! Installments - installments![}:)]

OK , so.....

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

arkiejazz
10-15-2006, 01:49 AM
oh Darn!! Let's hear the rest of it!!

steve blake
http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh

arkiejazz
10-15-2006, 01:49 AM
oh Darn!! Let's hear the rest of it!!

steve blake
http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh

rockne10
10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
You left a "t" out of the word "fittings".[:o)] But, that's what editors are for.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

rockne10
10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
You left a "t" out of the word "fittings".[:o)] But, that's what editors are for.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Lark Parker
10-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Good going.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/cg.jpg
Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Lark Parker
10-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Good going.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/cg.jpg
Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Roscomacaw
10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Next "installment".....

As the drinks went down, the Garford guy's interest went up - even if his comprehension was a bit, shall we say, awash.[:o)]
Biggs had given the bartender an earful as he ducked out the back door for a pee break. He told the bartender that he wanted to be served something that LOOKED like whiskey but really wasn't - while at the same time his newfound pal got the real thing.[}:)]
Back at the booth where the Garford guy sat staring glassy-eyed, Biggs pressed his ideas for a solution to their problems. He proposed that they approach the Studebaker brothers about a collaborative effort that would serve them all. He further suggested that his newly devised CARved BURlwood modulATOR (car-bur-ator for short)[:o)] would guarantee better performance if fitted to the R-series engines that the Garford company was promoting.
Of course, Garford had already developed their own device for metering fuel into their gasoline motors and it would take some cold, hard figures to sway the company's exotic, imported engineers to where they'd consider any alternatives. But his libation-loosened reasoning caused this fella to concede that he'd at least review whatever numbers Biggs could provide. Further, to facilitate Biggs’ proposal, he agreed to lend an R1 motor so that the carburator could be adapted to it.
Biggs’ heart leapt at the prospect while on the outside he portrayed his cool as a cucumber facade! Here was his chance to gain audience with the Studebaker guys for his masterful carpentry contraption! He'd be rich and he could treat his lovely Marie to all that he had always wished to regale her with. Biggs bade his drinking buddy goodnight after getting assurances that he'd be able to collect an engine the next day so that he could adapt his invention.
On his way thru the yellowish glow of the South Bend gaslights, he literally skipped along with the joy of his good fortune. It was hard to feel so giddy and yet be quiet as he entered the low-rent flat that he and Marie shared with their 6 kids. Somehow, Biggs managed and he slipped into bed without waking anyone. As he lay there - thinking of how he'd develop the "numbers" that would provide proof - he hardly even noticed the sound of the occasional surry clattering by.

The next morning, Biggs was off at dawn for a walk in the brisk, cool, Indiana air. Not wanting to spoil his chances with Garford and the ultimate Studebaker connection, he figured he HAD to find a way to produce valid figures as to his oaken carb’s performance. Such devices as a flow bench or wind tunnel were yet to be devised. Still, some way of providing measurable air flow had to be conjured up – and it had to happen soon – like now! And just as that thought passed thru his head, a trim Studebaker brougham whizzed by. Two shiny steeds pulling hard, the resultant whoosh of air set Biggs’ hat askew on his noggin. There! There was an idea! He could use a wagon as a test bed for air flow!
Only gone for a half hour or so, Biggs came back to their flat to find the kids making the usual raucous din as they ate the oatmeal that Marie had cooked up. He slid into his chair at the end of the rickety dining table and Marie placed a bowl of the gluey gruel in front of him and placed a peck of fondness on his cheek. This was a good moment to hit Marie with his thinking…..
“Honey, I’m working towards doing something with my carburetor thing again.”
Biggs couldn’t see Marie’s head drop a bit, but there was an unmistakable twinge of despair to her reply…. “Not AGAIN!” she said in a heavy whisper. “Bilbo ….. uh ….. I thought we had agreed that you’d apply for work at that foundry in Mishawaka again. I’m not sure I can take in enough laundry and seamstress work to keep us from being evicted. I mean – you PROMISED!”
The room had fallen silent as Biggs surveyed the the 12 anxious eyeballs that looked at him from the sides of the table. It occurred to him that it must be akin to what a field mouse feels when he finds himself below a tree full of Hawks.
“Look k

Roscomacaw
10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Next "installment".....

As the drinks went down, the Garford guy's interest went up - even if his comprehension was a bit, shall we say, awash.[:o)]
Biggs had given the bartender an earful as he ducked out the back door for a pee break. He told the bartender that he wanted to be served something that LOOKED like whiskey but really wasn't - while at the same time his newfound pal got the real thing.[}:)]
Back at the booth where the Garford guy sat staring glassy-eyed, Biggs pressed his ideas for a solution to their problems. He proposed that they approach the Studebaker brothers about a collaborative effort that would serve them all. He further suggested that his newly devised CARved BURlwood modulATOR (car-bur-ator for short)[:o)] would guarantee better performance if fitted to the R-series engines that the Garford company was promoting.
Of course, Garford had already developed their own device for metering fuel into their gasoline motors and it would take some cold, hard figures to sway the company's exotic, imported engineers to where they'd consider any alternatives. But his libation-loosened reasoning caused this fella to concede that he'd at least review whatever numbers Biggs could provide. Further, to facilitate Biggs’ proposal, he agreed to lend an R1 motor so that the carburator could be adapted to it.
Biggs’ heart leapt at the prospect while on the outside he portrayed his cool as a cucumber facade! Here was his chance to gain audience with the Studebaker guys for his masterful carpentry contraption! He'd be rich and he could treat his lovely Marie to all that he had always wished to regale her with. Biggs bade his drinking buddy goodnight after getting assurances that he'd be able to collect an engine the next day so that he could adapt his invention.
On his way thru the yellowish glow of the South Bend gaslights, he literally skipped along with the joy of his good fortune. It was hard to feel so giddy and yet be quiet as he entered the low-rent flat that he and Marie shared with their 6 kids. Somehow, Biggs managed and he slipped into bed without waking anyone. As he lay there - thinking of how he'd develop the "numbers" that would provide proof - he hardly even noticed the sound of the occasional surry clattering by.

The next morning, Biggs was off at dawn for a walk in the brisk, cool, Indiana air. Not wanting to spoil his chances with Garford and the ultimate Studebaker connection, he figured he HAD to find a way to produce valid figures as to his oaken carb’s performance. Such devices as a flow bench or wind tunnel were yet to be devised. Still, some way of providing measurable air flow had to be conjured up – and it had to happen soon – like now! And just as that thought passed thru his head, a trim Studebaker brougham whizzed by. Two shiny steeds pulling hard, the resultant whoosh of air set Biggs’ hat askew on his noggin. There! There was an idea! He could use a wagon as a test bed for air flow!
Only gone for a half hour or so, Biggs came back to their flat to find the kids making the usual raucous din as they ate the oatmeal that Marie had cooked up. He slid into his chair at the end of the rickety dining table and Marie placed a bowl of the gluey gruel in front of him and placed a peck of fondness on his cheek. This was a good moment to hit Marie with his thinking…..
“Honey, I’m working towards doing something with my carburetor thing again.”
Biggs couldn’t see Marie’s head drop a bit, but there was an unmistakable twinge of despair to her reply…. “Not AGAIN!” she said in a heavy whisper. “Bilbo ….. uh ….. I thought we had agreed that you’d apply for work at that foundry in Mishawaka again. I’m not sure I can take in enough laundry and seamstress work to keep us from being evicted. I mean – you PROMISED!”
The room had fallen silent as Biggs surveyed the the 12 anxious eyeballs that looked at him from the sides of the table. It occurred to him that it must be akin to what a field mouse feels when he finds himself below a tree full of Hawks.
“Look k