PDA

View Full Version : bent steering post...can it be straightened?

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm finally replacing the worn steering box in my '63 Champ, and got out a used one that I thought was good. Overall, it's not bad, but I only now find that teh post is bent. As you spin it, the steering wheel end scribes a 2" circle. It looks like the bend is down near the gears end.

Can it be safely straigtned, or should I look for another steering gear assembly?

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I sure wouldn't use it, Ron. As you may know, these shafts are spin-welded to the worm gear shaft and that itself is cause for concern over the long haul. That's why you shouldn't tighten up the bolts that hold the box to the frame on almost any Stude until the upper end of the column is fitted to the dash moorings. If you put that spin-weld joint under constant stress thru putting it in a constant bind, it can come apart with repeated flexing caused by that bind as you drive the car.[xx(] With a bent shaft, no matter how well you align the column, there's likely gonna be some flexing as the steering wheel is turned.
You MIGHT be able to straighten it adequately (and I understand how hard it is to find a useable 8E steering sector) but it would be a move of last resort for me.
Notice I said "almost any" when talking about tightening the box-to-frame bolts. The reason is that the Saginaw PS setups (used on most PS-equipped cars from '53 thru '59) have a "rag joint" incorporated into the column assy as well as Avantis. Fact is, you COULD incorporate a flex joint of some sort into your 8E's steering and you'd be safer for it in the long run.;) That would be one way to redeem the life of that bent-shaft box you've got.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 05:34 PM
I sure wouldn't use it, Ron. As you may know, these shafts are spin-welded to the worm gear shaft and that itself is cause for concern over the long haul. That's why you shouldn't tighten up the bolts that hold the box to the frame on almost any Stude until the upper end of the column is fitted to the dash moorings. If you put that spin-weld joint under constant stress thru putting it in a constant bind, it can come apart with repeated flexing caused by that bind as you drive the car.[xx(] With a bent shaft, no matter how well you align the column, there's likely gonna be some flexing as the steering wheel is turned.
You MIGHT be able to straighten it adequately (and I understand how hard it is to find a useable 8E steering sector) but it would be a move of last resort for me.
Notice I said "almost any" when talking about tightening the box-to-frame bolts. The reason is that the Saginaw PS setups (used on most PS-equipped cars from '53 thru '59) have a "rag joint" incorporated into the column assy as well as Avantis. Fact is, you COULD incorporate a flex joint of some sort into your 8E's steering and you'd be safer for it in the long run.;) That would be one way to redeem the life of that bent-shaft box you've got.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 05:40 PM
I considered that...but where would you put a rag joint and still keep your column shift?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 05:40 PM
I considered that...but where would you put a rag joint and still keep your column shift?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 06:02 PM
[:I]I didn't SAY it would be easy.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
[:I]I didn't SAY it would be easy.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Dwain G.
At the risk of asking a really dumb question....... and I'm not there to see what you're seeing........you do know those steering wheels are not round?

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg
Dwain G.

Dwain G.
At the risk of asking a really dumb question....... and I'm not there to see what you're seeing........you do know those steering wheels are not round?

Dwain G.

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes, some of the wheels aren't round, but that's not it...the post is bent. With no wheel on it (and the whole dang thing laying on the floor), If I move the pitman arm, the end of the steering post wobbles. If you stuck a pencil in the end of the post, and held a piece of paper up to it, you'd draw a 2 or 3" circle. No, it's bent. The one in the truck now has a worn sector and grinds and drags, but it's straight. (it's out of the truck now too). SASCO I now find, has a post and sector for about $105, and maybe the pins in the bent-shaft box are ok...so maybe I can take both boxes, a new post, and make one good assembly...I hope. I'll start tearing into it MOnday.

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes, some of the wheels aren't round, but that's not it...the post is bent. With no wheel on it (and the whole dang thing laying on the floor), If I move the pitman arm, the end of the steering post wobbles. If you stuck a pencil in the end of the post, and held a piece of paper up to it, you'd draw a 2 or 3" circle. No, it's bent. The one in the truck now has a worn sector and grinds and drags, but it's straight. (it's out of the truck now too). SASCO I now find, has a post and sector for about $105, and maybe the pins in the bent-shaft box are ok...so maybe I can take both boxes, a new post, and make one good assembly...I hope. I'll start tearing into it MOnday.

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Good point, Dwain! I ASSumed Ron was speaking of the shaft's end and may have bared mine in the process![V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Good point, Dwain! I ASSumed Ron was speaking of the shaft's end and may have bared mine in the process![V]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

10-14-2006, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

I'm finally replacing the worn steering box in my '63 Champ, and got out a used one that I thought was good. Overall, it's not bad, Ron Dame
'63 Champ

That crummy 8E steering box caused the demise of my '64 Champ (and nearly two other people). The shaft broke loose when my son was driving. He was going in to a gentle curve, couldn't steer and hit another truck head-on. Speed was low enough that injuries weren't serious, but the Champ was totalled.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine

10-14-2006, 07:42 PM

I'm finally replacing the worn steering box in my '63 Champ, and got out a used one that I thought was good. Overall, it's not bad, Ron Dame
'63 Champ

That crummy 8E steering box caused the demise of my '64 Champ (and nearly two other people). The shaft broke loose when my son was driving. He was going in to a gentle curve, couldn't steer and hit another truck head-on. Speed was low enough that injuries weren't serious, but the Champ was totalled.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 07:46 PM
yeah,I've heard the story and I don't want to repeat that.
Glad no one was hurt, and want to repeat that too!

quote:Originally posted by 53k

'63 Champ

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Ron Dame
10-14-2006, 07:46 PM
yeah,I've heard the story and I don't want to repeat that.
Glad no one was hurt, and want to repeat that too!

quote:Originally posted by 53k

'63 Champ

Paul Johnson
Museum R-4 engine

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Ron Dame
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Fact is, you COULD incorporate a flex joint of some sort into your 8E's steering and you'd be safer for it in the long run.;) That would be one way to redeem the life of that bent-shaft box you've got.

OK, here's a potentially good or potentially dangerous idea for a flex joint and keep the coulmn shift: get a certified welder to put a 1/2" drive u joint in the column? Or is that really too stupid to consider?

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Ron Dame
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Fact is, you COULD incorporate a flex joint of some sort into your 8E's steering and you'd be safer for it in the long run.;) That would be one way to redeem the life of that bent-shaft box you've got.

OK, here's a potentially good or potentially dangerous idea for a flex joint and keep the coulmn shift: get a certified welder to put a 1/2" drive u joint in the column? Or is that really too stupid to consider?

Ron Dame
'63 Champ