Strange response from a Stude owner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange response from a Stude owner?

Maybe it was a relative of the original owner or it was the owner and he still has the car and doesn't want anyone to know. Or perhaps he is like me and has CRS disease.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Maybe it was a relative of the original owner or it was the owner and he still has the car and doesn't want anyone to know. Or perhaps he is like me and has CRS disease.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Strange response from a Stude owner?

I was at the SNM archives last Friday (Feb. 29). Previously, I had researched and recorded details of the 14 Avanti-powered Skytops Studebaker built. This latest trip, I found the name of the original purchaser of 63V-31238, a '63 Lark Custom 2-door Sedan, complete R2 Super package, Super Red, black vinyl buckets with matching inserts, white Skytop sunroof, and Powershift. This was my personal favorite of the 14 Avanti-Powered Skytops Studebaker built. I wrote the fellow last Sunday, as I found his name on whitepages.com. I had his first and middle initials, and last name. His street address was different now than on the card from the SNM, but the (smallish) city was the same. The car was delivered to the Stude dealer in Hollidaysburg, PA. Today I received a response in the mail:

"(Dealer name) was a good friend of mine. To the best of my memory I never owned the car you are inquiring about. Sorry."

What do you think might have happened here? I have an idea or two or three of my own, but I'm curious what anyone else might think.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Guido

Guido, could you enlighten me on the "CRS Disease"? I have a hunch I'll be sorry I asked!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Guido

Guido, could you enlighten me on the "CRS Disease"? I have a hunch I'll be sorry I asked!

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Geez Bill..... I've run into instances like this (not regarding Studebakers, mind you) that are just a quirk of fate. Of course, someone old enough to have taken delivery of such a car new is (and I hate to say it because this includes me![V]) olde enough to suffer severe (and selective) memory loss![B)]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Geez Bill..... I've run into instances like this (not regarding Studebakers, mind you) that are just a quirk of fate. Of course, someone old enough to have taken delivery of such a car new is (and I hate to say it because this includes me![V]) olde enough to suffer severe (and selective) memory loss![B)]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

CRS =Can't Remember "Stuff" (or whatever else you can remember that begins with "S"

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

CRS =Can't Remember "Stuff" (or whatever else you can remember that begins with "S"

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Originally posted by Guido

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH

[:0] Bill! How dare you suggest something off-color!

CRS, of course, stands for Can't Remember Studebakers disease!

BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Originally posted by Guido

Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH

BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Of course, Shecky, I mean, Bob! I should've been able to figure that out!

Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH

[/quote]

BP
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Of course, Shecky, I mean, Bob! I should've been able to figure that out!

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH

[/quote]

BP
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

It sure would be interesting to know if that guy had any relatives in the area that could have been the logical age (20 something) or NOT, and could possibly have ordered and owned the car!

I suppose it is possible that somehow the deal fell through after the dealer sent in the registration card or something like that.
                            I guess since you did not actually speak to him, you could not ask if he then owned a DIFFERENT Studebaker from his friend the Dealer!

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It sure would be interesting to know if that guy had any relatives in the area that could have been the logical age (20 something) or NOT, and could possibly have ordered and owned the car!

I suppose it is possible that somehow the deal fell through after the dealer sent in the registration card or something like that.
                              I guess since you did not actually speak to him, you could not ask if he then owned a DIFFERENT Studebaker from his friend the Dealer!

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X