Where'd all the 52s go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where'd all the 52s go?

In doing as much research as I can on my newly acquired 52 Champion sedan, I've found very few pictures of these cars. With such a common body style and high production numbers, I thought I'd see them everywhere.
    Am I missing something? If anyone has some good shots of one of these, I'd love to see them. Or I could glue the rearview mirror to the windshield.

Thanks!
    Michael

So much to learn...head hurts

Be careful what you ask for!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Be careful what you ask for!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A little history on the 52... There was supposed to be an all new car for 52 called the Model N, but Bob Bourke designed a "dream" car that Raymond Loewy (Studebaker's design firm) sold to the management and they killed the Model N. They couldn't get the "dream" car (which became the 53 Studebaker) into production by 52, so they just facelifted the 47-51 body and made the 52. It became sort of a "red headed step child" of the Studebaker line.

Several members of this forum have 52s including me. Here is mine.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

A little history on the 52... There was supposed to be an all new car for 52 called the Model N, but Bob Bourke designed a "dream" car that Raymond Loewy (Studebaker's design firm) sold to the management and they killed the Model N. They couldn't get the "dream" car (which became the 53 Studebaker) into production by 52, so they just facelifted the 47-51 body and made the 52. It became sort of a "red headed step child" of the Studebaker line.

Several members of this forum have 52s including me. Here is mine.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

We have 5 '52's. 3 hardtops, a convertible, and a 4 door sedan. Funny that the 4 door is the only one that isn't a parts car.

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

We have 5 '52's. 3 hardtops, a convertible, and a 4 door sedan. Funny that the 4 door is the only one that isn't a parts car.

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

When I bought my 52 Champion Starlight in October of 1971 I was really looking for a 53 coupe like lots of others. What I found out after I joined the club was that the 52s were as Leonard said the red-headed step child. Unlike the 50 and 51 models not very many people wanted one. I went to several International meets and would be the only 52 Starlight coupe there and one of maybe three 52s of any body style. Slowly, as the cars became older, more have surfaced to be put back on the road, but you won't see very many, even at a large meet, unless it is a convertible or 2 door hardtop.
                I suspect that a lot of the 52 models were left to rot down or used for parts because they were not as popular.[V]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

When I bought my 52 Champion Starlight in October of 1971 I was really looking for a 53 coupe like lots of others. What I found out after I joined the club was that the 52s were as Leonard said the red-headed step child. Unlike the 50 and 51 models not very many people wanted one. I went to several International meets and would be the only 52 Starlight coupe there and one of maybe three 52s of any body style. Slowly, as the cars became older, more have surfaced to be put back on the road, but you won't see very many, even at a large meet, unless it is a convertible or 2 door hardtop.
                  I suspect that a lot of the 52 models were left to rot down or used for parts because they were not as popular.[V]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

...to the crusher!

Along with a boatload of Kaisers and Nashes and other wonderful relics of the 50's. Who in 1965 wanted a 13 year old Studebaker? Not many even wanted a new Studebaker, the Big 3 were pushing out all new shiny dreams as fast as they could. Mashing up all those great independants wore out many a fine crushing machine.

You'll just have to appreciate that your good taste in old automobiles is rather unique even today. Get old Betty prettied up and park it next to a 57 Chevy at a car show. Sit back and enjoy.

Although from your other posts I gather it needs a bunch. You ought to see what Studeclunker will take for his 52 4 door if you need that many parts.

Dan
                    52 hardtop

Comment

...to the crusher!

Along with a boatload of Kaisers and Nashes and other wonderful relics of the 50's. Who in 1965 wanted a 13 year old Studebaker? Not many even wanted a new Studebaker, the Big 3 were pushing out all new shiny dreams as fast as they could. Mashing up all those great independants wore out many a fine crushing machine.

You'll just have to appreciate that your good taste in old automobiles is rather unique even today. Get old Betty prettied up and park it next to a 57 Chevy at a car show. Sit back and enjoy.

Although from your other posts I gather it needs a bunch. You ought to see what Studeclunker will take for his 52 4 door if you need that many parts.

Dan
                      52 hardtop

Comment

yeah, listen to Dan. Pore ol' Frumpy needs a home (LOL)!

Here's some pics to tempt you further:

Back seat:

Dash:

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

yeah, listen to Dan. Pore ol' Frumpy needs a home (LOL)!

Here's some pics to tempt you further:

Back seat:

Dash:

Lotsa Larks!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I know that most people think I have only the '54 LC but I actually have 3 LCs...2 '54s and this one, a fairly nice '52 LC. I got it in Washington state from a State representative. He had found it in a field somewhere in Idaho, hauled it home and let it set in his garage for years. Finally spent $300 on chrome, then gave up and sold it to me. Now it has sat in MY back yard for many years. It ran when I parked it....but Someday.....

John

Comment

I know that most people think I have only the '54 LC but I actually have 3 LCs...2 '54s and this one, a fairly nice '52 LC. I got it in Washington state from a State representative. He had found it in a field somewhere in Idaho, hauled it home and let it set in his garage for years. Finally spent $300 on chrome, then gave up and sold it to me. Now it has sat in MY back yard for many years. It ran when I parked it....but Someday.....

John

Comment

Working...
                              X