Studebaker Neon sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Neon sign

Hi folks. Non Studebaker type here, just thought I'd ask a question of the experts. I'm restoring an old Studebaker neon sign similar to this one.
    [img][/img]
    I'm wondering what is the correct color for the neon tubing, or did they use more than one? For some reason I'm thinking pink[?], but I might have that confused with Hudsons![8)]
    Thanks for your help!

WOW! Will need to call in the afficianados on this one. Have sent email to same.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

WOW! Will need to call in the afficianados on this one. Have sent email to same.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That is a late 40's early 50's sign, it would be RED neon tubes, certainly NO Pink!

Judging by the size of that post I'd say that thing is 15-20 feet wide! WOW![^][:0][]

There is a beautiful '63-'64 Red, White and Blue Studebaker sign on ebay right now, but much newer.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is a late 40's early 50's sign, it would be RED neon tubes, certainly NO Pink!

Judging by the size of that post I'd say that thing is 15-20 feet wide! WOW![^][:0][]

There is a beautiful '63-'64 Red, White and Blue Studebaker sign on ebay right now, but much newer.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine is only 7 feet long! I wish I had room for one like this though! Red works for me unless there are any dissenting votes, thanks!

Comment

Mine is only 7 feet long! I wish I had room for one like this though! Red works for me unless there are any dissenting votes, thanks!

Comment

Just because I mentioned it, this is the Hudson sign I was thinking about. It's probably red too, now that I look at it. Neon is so hard to photograph, you have to look at the reflected light to know what color it is sometimes. But anyway, this is such a cool old sign I thought I'd share it! And no, it's not mine This one sold on eBay for north of $7000 if I remember right.[:0]
                [img][/img]

Comment

Just because I mentioned it, this is the Hudson sign I was thinking about. It's probably red too, now that I look at it. Neon is so hard to photograph, you have to look at the reflected light to know what color it is sometimes. But anyway, this is such a cool old sign I thought I'd share it! And no, it's not mine This one sold on eBay for north of $7000 if I remember right.[:0]
                  [img][/img]

Comment

Eric the best person to ask about the color of neon to use on the great sign you have is none other than the Studebaker Wheel or as we know him Richard Quinn. he can tell you for sure what was on it and may even have a picture of one.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Eric the best person to ask about the color of neon to use on the great sign you have is none other than the Studebaker Wheel or as we know him Richard Quinn. he can tell you for sure what was on it and may even have a picture of one.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X