York review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York review

As always, I had a great time at York, no change in the level of bull sessions and fun. The "ebay effect" is nicking away at the cars for sale, year by year and to a lessor extant, the vendor count. maybe five years ago, the car corral would be full to over flowing, now, just a hand full.
    There were big, empty vendor spots in building two and traffic was down, but most vendors reported strong sales. I sold a lot of stuff that I had been hauling back and forth for years.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Could the aging of members also add to the slow down?
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Maybe, but would that not effect the ebay market too ?

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        63 Daytona HT/4 speed
        63 Lark 2 door
        57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Maybe, but would that not effect the ebay market too ?

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          63 Daytona HT/4 speed
          63 Lark 2 door
          57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

No doubt, the internet auctions have had an effect but, as I indicated in another post, you can spend years waiting for your needs to appear on an internet auction or, attend a swap meet and spend your time assembling, rather than searching.
            Those of us who have the opportunity to attend every year probably take it for granted; Ho-Hum, same old same old, more of everything I need; if only I could afford it all at once.

Unfortunately, many (read that, most) of our members can't bop down the road to their neighborhood swap meet. They, by necessity, will spend time searching and, in many instances, paying higher prices on auction items.

I know folks came from Canada, Florida and Big Mo to York, and vendors who drove a thousand miles and rented lodging for themselves and their employees.

Spending like that, on the chance that you'll find what you need or sell what you need, takes faith and determination.

Then there's also the social and technical interaction that's rampant.

As Mr.Biggs said, York is the Mecca.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

No doubt, the internet auctions have had an effect but, as I indicated in another post, you can spend years waiting for your needs to appear on an internet auction or, attend a swap meet and spend your time assembling, rather than searching.
              Those of us who have the opportunity to attend every year probably take it for granted; Ho-Hum, same old same old, more of everything I need; if only I could afford it all at once.

Unfortunately, many (read that, most) of our members can't bop down the road to their neighborhood swap meet. They, by necessity, will spend time searching and, in many instances, paying higher prices on auction items.

I know folks came from Canada, Florida and Big Mo to York, and vendors who drove a thousand miles and rented lodging for themselves and their employees.

Spending like that, on the chance that you'll find what you need or sell what you need, takes faith and determination.

Then there's also the social and technical interaction that's rampant.

As Mr.Biggs said, York is the Mecca.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Less vendors, but sales were up. I snagged a few items I thought I would never find. One a piece for the 56J the first item I saw as we walked thru the door. Thanks to JP, then by shear accident a NOS BU light for the Hawk in Building B. Then got my interior panels from Phantom, and a Shrock Bros. 54 Panel truck. One interesting thing was the vendors did not pack up at 1 or 2, but stayed open until around 4:30. The latest in years.

Ellen noticed many "new" faces, newbies, which is a good sign.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Less vendors, but sales were up. I snagged a few items I thought I would never find. One a piece for the 56J the first item I saw as we walked thru the door. Thanks to JP, then by shear accident a NOS BU light for the Hawk in Building B. Then got my interior panels from Phantom, and a Shrock Bros. 54 Panel truck. One interesting thing was the vendors did not pack up at 1 or 2, but stayed open until around 4:30. The latest in years.

Ellen noticed many "new" faces, newbies, which is a good sign.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

you can spend years waiting for your needs to appear on an internet auction or, attend a swap meet and spend your time assembling, rather than searching.
                    The problem with that is for people like me. I love the swap meet areas; I spend a ton of time just wandering along, looking at everything, new, old, or filthy. But being only involved in Studes for a few years, most of the stuff is unidentifiable to me. I've been to sales and auctions with big piles or boxes of parts, and can identify the vast majority of loose parts for the Big Three. I realize a lot of you can do that with Studes; I can't. And if I can, how do I know what a fair price is? Very frustrating. I can't go around like a puppy dog asking those who do know to help me look for this and that. So I come away from these meets with just a fraction of what I might have bought if I had a clue what I was looking at. Example: Gary Hearn sold me inner fenders and a front bumper for my M-16. Then, and now, I have no idea if they're correct. Only reason I bought them is because I mentioned them here, and Gary, someone I know, said they're right. I looked at, and might have bought, a decent pair of M5 fenders for mine but learned the difference there, saving me from buying fenders I can't use.

So now I can go to eBay. There the stuff is described, and if I'm unsure I can ask others, and they can answer or not, all at the convenience of everyone's schedules- and piece by piece, as one has the money, and without any travel expense. Another plus is you can avoid the cat-and-mouse game many play; "How much for this?" "I dunno, make me an offer."- and I have no idea what it's worth... I also hate to ask a price on something and just walk away. And on prices- I like to haggle, but I have no interest in making it a contest that ends up with one or both parties annoyed. Never happens on eBay. The down sides are obvious- no hands-on inspection, shipping, etc. But overall a decent alternative.

I'll always do all I can to support our vendors who go to the trouble to carry, display, and make available the stuff I need or want; it's not easy. And the chance to meet up with everyone is the best part! But I sure am thankful for eBay- as Dick S. said, it would still be a value at twice the price!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

you can spend years waiting for your needs to appear on an internet auction or, attend a swap meet and spend your time assembling, rather than searching.
                      The problem with that is for people like me. I love the swap meet areas; I spend a ton of time just wandering along, looking at everything, new, old, or filthy. But being only involved in Studes for a few years, most of the stuff is unidentifiable to me. I've been to sales and auctions with big piles or boxes of parts, and can identify the vast majority of loose parts for the Big Three. I realize a lot of you can do that with Studes; I can't. And if I can, how do I know what a fair price is? Very frustrating. I can't go around like a puppy dog asking those who do know to help me look for this and that. So I come away from these meets with just a fraction of what I might have bought if I had a clue what I was looking at. Example: Gary Hearn sold me inner fenders and a front bumper for my M-16. Then, and now, I have no idea if they're correct. Only reason I bought them is because I mentioned them here, and Gary, someone I know, said they're right. I looked at, and might have bought, a decent pair of M5 fenders for mine but learned the difference there, saving me from buying fenders I can't use.

So now I can go to eBay. There the stuff is described, and if I'm unsure I can ask others, and they can answer or not, all at the convenience of everyone's schedules- and piece by piece, as one has the money, and without any travel expense. Another plus is you can avoid the cat-and-mouse game many play; "How much for this?" "I dunno, make me an offer."- and I have no idea what it's worth... I also hate to ask a price on something and just walk away. And on prices- I like to haggle, but I have no interest in making it a contest that ends up with one or both parties annoyed. Never happens on eBay. The down sides are obvious- no hands-on inspection, shipping, etc. But overall a decent alternative.

I'll always do all I can to support our vendors who go to the trouble to carry, display, and make available the stuff I need or want; it's not easy. And the chance to meet up with everyone is the best part! But I sure am thankful for eBay- as Dick S. said, it would still be a value at twice the price!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Brad you owe me for the sale of your windshield. Gary and i had just moved it when a guy cme up started talking to Gary and asked him some wuestions he couldn't answer. Since I knew them because of our conversation about it I closed the deal for you. As many have said it is a touchy feely world when it comes to buying parts and alll and the eBay world doesn't give you the opprotunity for that. Yes, vendor count was down a little but the big loss was Steve Allen at the last moment and the Swap meet Committee did a great job filling that loss. Had not that occurred, both buildings would have been full. York is also a place to renew friendships and swap old stories about our finds, repairs and restoration of our beloved Studebakers. It is and will remain a fantastic place to congregate and YES it is MECCA for the Studebaker Clan and always will be.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Brad you owe me for the sale of your windshield. Gary and i had just moved it when a guy cme up started talking to Gary and asked him some wuestions he couldn't answer. Since I knew them because of our conversation about it I closed the deal for you. As many have said it is a touchy feely world when it comes to buying parts and alll and the eBay world doesn't give you the opprotunity for that. Yes, vendor count was down a little but the big loss was Steve Allen at the last moment and the Swap meet Committee did a great job filling that loss. Had not that occurred, both buildings would have been full. York is also a place to renew friendships and swap old stories about our finds, repairs and restoration of our beloved Studebakers. It is and will remain a fantastic place to congregate and YES it is MECCA for the Studebaker Clan and always will be.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                          X