This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Made It Again: Hot Rod Magazine!

Team Studebaker's Drag Racing exploits have been written up nicely, with two photographs of The Plain Brown Wrapper, in the December 2006 Hot Rod. [][8D]

'Just pulled my subscriber's edition out of the mailbox. The front cover screams, "World's Fastest Musclecars!" with a photo of a stocker 1970 Hemi 'cuda comin' at ya. Inside coverage includes a feature article on the June 2006 F.A.S.T. / Pure Stock Combination Event at The Martin MI Dragway, where we took both The Tomato and The Plain Brown Wrapper...and, of course, Ted Harbit to drive!

On Page 3 of the 6-page, full-color report is a nice photo of The PBW leaving the line, and a side photo of the R3's engine compartment. The material is boxed and uses about a third of the page! The car's best of 13.16 ET and 108 MPH is highlighted...and that was in oppresive mid-90s heat all day. [xx(] (The car has routinely turned in the twelves at the more temperature-hospitable Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race in mid-September.[:0])

Hot Rod's caption is actually accurate, and mentions the car being piloted by Ted Harbit, "Eight-Time NHRA Stock National Champion." It does say George Krem, "bought the car new in August 1964 [true], ...months before the company shut down operations for good." Well, that is sorta true!

It will likely be a few weeks before the December 2006 Hot Rod is on newsstands, but it will be worth looking for. [8D][8D]

(Personally, I'm wondering if it can get any better than this! Many of us have waited over 40 years for additional, positive Studebaker muscle car exposure in Hot Rod...even longer than we waited for the new Studebaker National Museum! [:I]) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yeah, imagine that. Studebaker - one of the "Big Five" automakers. I wonder if - out of those who even KNOW Studebaker was an independent ("Yeah, I know you said Studebaker, but who actually made it?")- any of them know where the company was based.
    The public at large was conditioned to think that all autos came outta Detroit. Heck, Studebaker even played along to some extent. Who knows what came from Kenosha - or South Bend - or Toledo even[?]

Either way, the recognition is a good thing. I haven't washed my right hand since I shook hands with Ted in Omaha. And I swear the shifter in the Transtar responds accordingly![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, imagine that. Studebaker - one of the "Big Five" automakers. I wonder if - out of those who even KNOW Studebaker was an independent ("Yeah, I know you said Studebaker, but who actually made it?")- any of them know where the company was based.
      The public at large was conditioned to think that all autos came outta Detroit. Heck, Studebaker even played along to some extent. Who knows what came from Kenosha - or South Bend - or Toledo even[?]

Either way, the recognition is a good thing. I haven't washed my right hand since I shook hands with Ted in Omaha. And I swear the shifter in the Transtar responds accordingly![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The friend of the guy that picked up the 2 barrrel GT Hawk just this morning metioned the Chicken Hawk article so I showed him the one on the Wrapper.The word is getting out.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
        63 Daytona HT
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        59 3E Truck
        57 Silver Hawk
        53 Starliner
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The friend of the guy that picked up the 2 barrrel GT Hawk just this morning metioned the Chicken Hawk article so I showed him the one on the Wrapper.The word is getting out.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
          63 Daytona HT
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          59 3E Truck
          57 Silver Hawk
          53 Starliner
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd like to add that Studebakers would not be getting this recent but long overdue exposure if it wasn't for Ted. The cars themselves deserve a lot of credit, of course. But IMHO, Ted has personally done more for Studebakering than even the Studebakers themselves.

Ted didn't set out to do this, but his expertise in engineering, building, prepping, and driving high performance Studebakers has clearly shown through his modesty and understatements about his special abilities. Ted would never take credit for putting Studebaker on today's "Hot Rod Map", but I for one will certainly give it to him.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd like to add that Studebakers would not be getting this recent but long overdue exposure if it wasn't for Ted. The cars themselves deserve a lot of credit, of course. But IMHO, Ted has personally done more for Studebakering than even the Studebakers themselves.

Ted didn't set out to do this, but his expertise in engineering, building, prepping, and driving high performance Studebakers has clearly shown through his modesty and understatements about his special abilities. Ted would never take credit for putting Studebaker on today's "Hot Rod Map", but I for one will certainly give it to him.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, Bob's been a catalyst for this awakening too. He's consistently brought Studes to the attention of various editors and tirelessly corrected mistakes in articles about the breed to where they can't ignore them like they used to.

Ted's, no doubt, the magic ingredient on the upper end of the shift lever but Bob's the barker that draws attention to the attraction.

"Huray! Huray! Step right up! For the paltry price of a happy meal - you too can watch as Ted, er, David whomps Goliath time and time again! It's mystifying, it beats the odds and baffles the gods, it's an underdog tale that'll have your tongue wagging for the rest of your natural life!" [}]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Dick, Bob's been a catalyst for this awakening too. He's consistently brought Studes to the attention of various editors and tirelessly corrected mistakes in articles about the breed to where they can't ignore them like they used to.

Ted's, no doubt, the magic ingredient on the upper end of the shift lever but Bob's the barker that draws attention to the attraction.

"Huray! Huray! Step right up! For the paltry price of a happy meal - you too can watch as Ted, er, David whomps Goliath time and time again! It's mystifying, it beats the odds and baffles the gods, it's an underdog tale that'll have your tongue wagging for the rest of your natural life!" [}]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

[:I] "...have your tongue wagging for the rest of your natural life." Hey, I like that, Bob; I'll have to use it.

Seriously, Dick and Bob; thanks for the accolades. If there was ever a labor of love, and I speak for many of us as well as Ted and I, this is it. Our finally getting national recognition for Studebakers as viable competitors in the muscle car arena really has been a team effort: I share Dick's amazement at Ted -and I've been watching Ted for 44 years, remember- about as much as Ted is amused by my promotional goings-on on his behalf.

Ted's unbelievable ability to concentrate and focus on what he is doing when the lights come down, time after time, is illustrated by the following example that will appear in the Turning Wheels report of the 2006 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race:

Ted's shootout pairing matched him and The Stude Tomato against Jeff Morgan's 1971, 454 Corvette from Livonia MI. He beat Jeff and the Corvette outright in the first of the 2-out-of-3 shootout races.

Jeff red-lighted the second race, losing to Ted automatically unless Ted broke out, which he did not do. So, at the conclusion of that run, Ted had won the second race and, hence, the shootout. But because the Corvette left earlier (red-lighted) and had a better 60-foot time, he appeared to have won that second race. [:0]

I was photographing from the extreme end of the bleachers, at about the 1,000-foot post. That's about as close as the bleachers get to the finish line. The track probably can't afford to build bleachers for the entire quarter-mile; few people occupy them at the far end anyway. But that's where some good photos come from, especially for supercharged Studes [}] as they stretch their legs toward home; the last 320 feet of the 1,320-foot quarter-mile.

Because Ted won, I ran down the bleachers and toward the timing shack at the end of the strip, where competitors pick up their timing slips. I wanted to be there when he arrived on the return road for thumbs-up and congratulations. I didn't quite make it to the shack before Ted and The Tomato got there; I saw him pick up his slip and a little dejectedly throw it on the passenger's seat as he drove away from the shack. I was confused. [:I]

He looked surprised when he looked up and saw me running toward him and the Tomato, waving my hands with a big smile and indicating double thumbs-up. [] I knew he had just won Race 2 and his Shootout but he didn't! He thought they were going to the dreaded Round Three!

Bottom line: He had so concentrated on his own personal driving in that race, as usual, that he didn't realize Jeff had red-lighted and the race was meaningless after that...unless Ted broke out, which he is careful not to do. True: After I excitedly explained to him what had happened, he picked up the timing slip he had just thrown down and took a quick look at it. His facial expression said, "Well, I'll be #@$%*&, he did red-light!"

...And that, boys and girls, reflects the concentration that has garnered Ted Harbit's "Top Dog" place in Studebaker Drag Racing history. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[:I] "...have your tongue wagging for the rest of your natural life." Hey, I like that, Bob; I'll have to use it.

Seriously, Dick and Bob; thanks for the accolades. If there was ever a labor of love, and I speak for many of us as well as Ted and I, this is it. Our finally getting national recognition for Studebakers as viable competitors in the muscle car arena really has been a team effort: I share Dick's amazement at Ted -and I've been watching Ted for 44 years, remember- about as much as Ted is amused by my promotional goings-on on his behalf.

Ted's unbelievable ability to concentrate and focus on what he is doing when the lights come down, time after time, is illustrated by the following example that will appear in the Turning Wheels report of the 2006 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race:

Ted's shootout pairing matched him and The Stude Tomato against Jeff Morgan's 1971, 454 Corvette from Livonia MI. He beat Jeff and the Corvette outright in the first of the 2-out-of-3 shootout races.

Jeff red-lighted the second race, losing to Ted automatically unless Ted broke out, which he did not do. So, at the conclusion of that run, Ted had won the second race and, hence, the shootout. But because the Corvette left earlier (red-lighted) and had a better 60-foot time, he appeared to have won that second race. [:0]

I was photographing from the extreme end of the bleachers, at about the 1,000-foot post. That's about as close as the bleachers get to the finish line. The track probably can't afford to build bleachers for the entire quarter-mile; few people occupy them at the far end anyway. But that's where some good photos come from, especially for supercharged Studes [}] as they stretch their legs toward home; the last 320 feet of the 1,320-foot quarter-mile.

Because Ted won, I ran down the bleachers and toward the timing shack at the end of the strip, where competitors pick up their timing slips. I wanted to be there when he arrived on the return road for thumbs-up and congratulations. I didn't quite make it to the shack before Ted and The Tomato got there; I saw him pick up his slip and a little dejectedly throw it on the passenger's seat as he drove away from the shack. I was confused. [:I]

He looked surprised when he looked up and saw me running toward him and the Tomato, waving my hands with a big smile and indicating double thumbs-up. [] I knew he had just won Race 2 and his Shootout but he didn't! He thought they were going to the dreaded Round Three!

Bottom line: He had so concentrated on his own personal driving in that race, as usual, that he didn't realize Jeff had red-lighted and the race was meaningless after that...unless Ted broke out, which he is careful not to do. True: After I excitedly explained to him what had happened, he picked up the timing slip he had just thrown down and took a quick look at it. His facial expression said, "Well, I'll be #@$%*&, he did red-light!"

...And that, boys and girls, reflects the concentration that has garnered Ted Harbit's "Top Dog" place in Studebaker Drag Racing history. BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                        Right, as usual, Bob. Quite a team!

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                          Right, as usual, Bob. Quite a team!

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Plus they are down to earth NICE GUYS

Studebaker Fever
                            60 Lark
                            51 Champion
                            Phil
                            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                            60 Lark