1931 Indy car: a last look before the auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Indy car: a last look before the auction

We were at the Valpey home in NH on Sunday Aug. 4 for the celebration of the late Bob Valpey’s life. The automobile collection was on display, from the Crosley Farm-o-Road to the 1914 Studebaker bus to the 1931 Indy car, plus Packards, Allards, a Chalmers, etc., etc. Many family members and family friends were there. On Monday, some cars will load into the trailer for the trip to the Pebble Beach auction. I lined up in front of the Indy car with three of my grandchildren, explaining how Grandpa’s replica-building project might someday look one-tenth as good as Bob’s 88-year old racer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	43D80961-7F18-4C16-BDCB-D2CF322D8E39.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1760938Click image for larger version

Name:	4E0D11D0-E07C-4AA3-8666-59A8D074545A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1760939
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Good luck with your project, and good luck to the SNM winning high bid on #37.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Nice, Gary; thanks. Bob
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You're already way past the one-tenth mark. The replica is an awesome, hand built work of art. Keep up the good work. Hopefully we can all visit the original in the museum.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Very nice, Gary. I hope you were able to rub it (ok, maybe a tire) for luck!
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

No doubt that car never looked that good when it was new.

Lovely car!
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
            X