Flamingo color a Ford first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flamingo color a Ford first?

Depending on your monitor, note how this 1953 Ford's Flamingo "Red" so closely matches Studebaker's 1961 Flamingo. Interesting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	17276800-1953-ford-crestline-std.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1760946
    Coral 1953 Ford Crestline for sale located in Lavergne, Tennessee - $27,995 (ClassicCars.com ID CC-1243378).
    Last edited by showbizkid; 08-06-2019, 10:16 AM. Reason: Photo added
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I believe Ford offered that shade the longest, at least until the 1964 model year when it was called 'Samoan Coral'. A former neighbor had a 1956 Lincoln where the lower body color was Island Coral with a black roof.

And Studebaker's 1956 Tangerine was close:

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 08-04-2019, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Kaiser-Frazer offered a similar pink name "Indian Ceramic" for 1949-'50.

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
        Kaiser-Frazer offered a similar pink name "Indian Ceramic" for 1949-'50.
        And they even stated the color name in chrome on the front fenders:

Craig

Comment

My '59 Galaxie had this color - by then Ford called it 'Geranium'.

Comment

My Uncle Ernest's '55 Champion hardtop was originally that flamingo and white but was repainted when restored to brown and white... This car was in the parking lot at the 2011 Zone meet in Gettysburg, PA. I think the color is nice - was it that popular on Studebakers?

Comment

I think the 1955 'Coraltone' is a little closer to pink than Flamingo:

Craig

Comment

My parents had a Tangerine and Mountain Cap Snow Pelham wagon. If I can find a pic of the car, more than the front right fender I will post

Comment

It looks like it has tri-stars on the inside rear quarters.

Name:	17276839-1953-ford-crestline-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1729053
                  Did Mercedes, ever notice those?

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

1953 Ford Flamingo Red is COLOR code S, Ford part number M-2J-221

This color is not listed in the 1949/59 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog after 1953.

1959 Ford (not Bird) Geranium is COLOR code T, Ford part number M-1J-2018

1959 Thunderbird COLOR code T: Flamingo, Ford part number M-1J-1071

Comment

At this weekend's auction by Mecum in Harrisburg, there was a 1954 Dodge convertible in Spanish Coral (that looked like Flamingo) that was no sale at $30K.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So Studebaker had another red/pink/flamingo other than Pima Red in 1955?

I guess there were two more reds offered in the spring...the coraltone is pink by any measure.

Comment

I owned a 56 2dr sedan "CustomLiner" that was "Sunset Coral, which was nowhere near the "Flamingo" of my sisters 61 Convertible,

This is a "Victoria", but only Pic I could find that really looked like the Coral Mist I knew.

I painted my younger sister's 56 Victoria "Regency Purple Poly" and "Colonial White"

Last edited by SScopelli; 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

And then there was "Tahiti Coral in 1959.Click image for larger version

Name:	793.jpg
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1729093

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post

This is a "Victoria", but only Pic I could find that really looked like the Coral Mist I knew.

Victoria is a two door hardtop. Crown Victoria is a 1955/56 two door hardtop with a "basket handle" roof moulding with or without a plexiglass roof over the front seat.

Pic from 1949/59 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog:

Name:	20190806115759FD-9462.jpg
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1729095

Comment

Working...
                              X