Promoting our Studebaker Brand and its History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting our Studebaker Brand and its History

Jake did a good thing earlier this month, showing many people "out there" via the Wallstreet Journal that Studebakers and enthusiasts for them, were very much alive.

Local newspaper articles do the same thing on a smaller scale. No need to have a 400 point Avanti or Coupe Express or Speedway President (although, those are great Studes!) - just some enthusiasm, maybe a news-worthy Cars and Coffee happening, a charitable donation by your chapter, maybe some hometown slant to something you or the club is doing - something a little special that may interest a media editor or videographer.

Any one can do their bit for Studedom. l just did mine.

Mine involves the article/interview (l have not seen it yet) on Stu Chapman and his tenure with Studebaker of Canada and hopefully all of his many contributions, past and on-going, to our favourite brand SINCE 1966. The October issue of "Collectible Automobile" has the article and it will be on the stands within two weeks. It is already arriving in subscriber's mail boxes.

Close to a year ago l took a particular copy of Hemmings Classic Car to morning coffee with the guys and just happened to notice that in the editorial, Richard Lentinello requested that any readers who knew of any car company management people that could shed light on our heritage of auto history were to let him know by email - he would perhaps want to interview them and publish the result. l thot of Stu and emailed Richard with info and background, but l didn't hear or see any response.

BUT a month or so later l was talking to author Patrick Foster who was attending the September Studebaker swap meet in Dunkirk, NY and mentioned what l had done and lack of response. He was interested and asked me to leave contact information. Shortly he got back to me and said that there was another magazine interested. l got Stu's permission and sent Mr. Foster the contact info for Stu. The rest is history - Stu was interviewed by Patrick several times over the winter and the results are in Collectible Automobile, October 2019 issue.

l really didn't do much except recognize an opportunity and acted on it. Anybody can do it! l didn't write a word except a couple of emails. But l did initiate it (l'm glad that l did), and it happened. And Studedom should benefit.

There are endless opportunities out there for everyone in SDC to do something too! Go for it! We here all have the enthusiasm, or you wouldn't be reading this!
    Last edited by STEWDI; 07-26-2019, 06:30 PM.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Good work, sounds like you did a good job! I'll be looking forward to finding one at Barnes & Noble.

As you said, ANY attempt is better than nothing.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's right, Rich. Small mentions, medium or large. There's a Studebaker story to A LOT of things. War contributions, racing, peace contributions (Paul Hoffman was the head of the Marshall Plan), relatively peaceful union relations (their local was an early number - #5, and they placed public ads for Stude sales), in business selling vehicles with the Studebaker name on them for 114 years (Chrysler has another 19 years to get that far), fiberglass-bodied sports cars (did Ford, Chrysler or AMC put one into production?), horse drawn vehicles, and talk about contemporary - electric vehicles, the Indy 500, superchargers, (un)successful mergers, pension plans, trucks, college football, to name a few !!! There are a ton of Studebaker talking/writing points!
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

No worries! You know that I'm definitely working to keep Studedom up on my end. I contacted a few magazines with my story so something interesting may happen.
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Great points...
          And to add.. Promoting Studebakers does not have to be all big or fancy (but that is great, too!)...
          Sometimes it is just asking a media person and writing a short comment and sending some pic's.
          Here's an example from years ago that still has people making comments about..

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What I allways point out is the Panamericana & Bonneville racers / winners.

Comment

Working...
            X