2010 - Route 66, Phoenix and AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 - Route 66, Phoenix and AC

After moving and getting situated again, I'm starting back on the Daytona. Last night I talked to a buddy that I've known for well over 20 years. I guess he and a few others are having a "Wild Hogs" kind of midlife crisis. There has been talk of driving Route 66 from Chicago to LA. They want to do this in 2010, the same year as the Studebaker National Meet in Phoenix.

My target date for completing the Daytona was the National Meet. I've talked them into considering doing this just before the Phoenix Meet. The idea is to drive from Florida to Detroit to meet up with the small caravan to do the mother road and then head to Chicago. At the end of this trip, heading east directly to Phoenix, before coming back to Florida.

While I have the A/C stuff, I had planned on going without. I figured I'd tough out the two weeks of the round trip to AZ. Since the Route 66 trip is supposed to be fun, I'm again considering installing the A/C.

So I present two questions to everyone for their thoughts.

Other than a shake down run locally, will this old thing hold up to a 8000 mile maiden voyage thru mostly the southeast and southwest in June without spending a considerable amount of time on the side of the road?

A/C or no A/C? I wasn't concerned about the FL weather, as I'd probably just keep it parked during July, August and September. Has anyone made a few long journeys in the summer heat?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

I used to drive my Cruiser in all sorts of hot humid weather. As long as you're moving, you'll be okay. Keep those underdash vents open and open the wing windows.

50 years ago people made that trip in these vehicles and most of them didn't have AC. We're spoiled.

Keep moving[8D]

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

I used to drive my Cruiser in all sorts of hot humid weather. As long as you're moving, you'll be okay. Keep those underdash vents open and open the wing windows.

50 years ago people made that trip in these vehicles and most of them didn't have AC. We're spoiled.

Keep moving[8D]

Mark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA
      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

I agree with Mark. Years ago people made trips in those cars all across the country. Just make sure everything is in top-notch shape before you start out. It sounds like a great adventure!

Dave Bonn
        Valencia. PA
        '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I agree with Mark. Years ago people made trips in those cars all across the country. Just make sure everything is in top-notch shape before you start out. It sounds like a great adventure!

Dave Bonn
          Valencia. PA
          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

As an Arizona native, I must recommend that you have AC for summer heat here. You may be able to survive without it, but your experience will be extremely unpleasant. The heat in Arizona is far different than the heat in the south. Far different. Drier and much warmer. Think 110+.

Tim-53 Studebird in Yuma, AZ
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

As an Arizona native, I must recommend that you have AC for summer heat here. You may be able to survive without it, but your experience will be extremely unpleasant. The heat in Arizona is far different than the heat in the south. Far different. Drier and much warmer. Think 110+.

Tim-53 Studebird in Yuma, AZ
              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I did Americruise in '01 with my black on black Starliner in August...no AC. LA to Lincoln, NE and return. Well over 100 in Las Vegas and close to that until the Rockies. East of the Rockies very hot and humid (and it's true what they say...dry heat beats humid heat [xx(]).

The car had no problems what so ever (Chevy powered, however). OTOH, we have gotten used to little creature comforts like AC [8D]. My partner and I had a great time, wouldn't have missed it for the world. Being part of a group of 50 or so hot rods running down the highway for several days in a row is a thrill. We kept a cooler of ice in the back seat, drank a lot of water, rubbed ice on ourselves, took a lot of breaks, told a lot of jokes to distract ourselves from the heat.

AC or no AC, DO IT! You'll have stories to tell the rest of your life.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I did Americruise in '01 with my black on black Starliner in August...no AC. LA to Lincoln, NE and return. Well over 100 in Las Vegas and close to that until the Rockies. East of the Rockies very hot and humid (and it's true what they say...dry heat beats humid heat [xx(]).

The car had no problems what so ever (Chevy powered, however). OTOH, we have gotten used to little creature comforts like AC [8D]. My partner and I had a great time, wouldn't have missed it for the world. Being part of a group of 50 or so hot rods running down the highway for several days in a row is a thrill. We kept a cooler of ice in the back seat, drank a lot of water, rubbed ice on ourselves, took a lot of breaks, told a lot of jokes to distract ourselves from the heat.

AC or no AC, DO IT! You'll have stories to tell the rest of your life.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've driven across this country (OK - only as far east as Toledo) twice - in Stude TRUCKS. No AC either time. If it's hot, I just remind myself that I can't recall a summer day when my folks concluded: "Aw, it's just too hot - let's not go!" And they didn't have AC until my dad bought a late 70s Buick.
                    Sure - I like AC - especially here where it's right "normal" to see triple-digit temps from June to September[xx(]. But I still do without it in our Studes.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've driven across this country (OK - only as far east as Toledo) twice - in Stude TRUCKS. No AC either time. If it's hot, I just remind myself that I can't recall a summer day when my folks concluded: "Aw, it's just too hot - let's not go!" And they didn't have AC until my dad bought a late 70s Buick.
                      Sure - I like AC - especially here where it's right "normal" to see triple-digit temps from June to September[xx(]. But I still do without it in our Studes.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have driven mostly un-air conditioned cars all of my life..which isn't very long compared to most of you. However, In my experience, I have found that once you are out in the heat for a little while..say an hour or two, then you don't notice it that much...I must add, however, that in the summer I work in a print shop with an average standing room temp of 115 degrees F with 90%+ Humidity, so maybe I just have an immunity.
                        My wife and I are planning a route 66 trip in about 3-5 years ourselves. We will be taking an un-air conditioned 63 lark..so I may eat my words later.
                        Either way, Good Luck!!

Comment

I have driven mostly un-air conditioned cars all of my life..which isn't very long compared to most of you. However, In my experience, I have found that once you are out in the heat for a little while..say an hour or two, then you don't notice it that much...I must add, however, that in the summer I work in a print shop with an average standing room temp of 115 degrees F with 90%+ Humidity, so maybe I just have an immunity.
                          My wife and I are planning a route 66 trip in about 3-5 years ourselves. We will be taking an un-air conditioned 63 lark..so I may eat my words later.
                          Either way, Good Luck!!

Comment

My worst experience was driving my Transtar across Arizona in June of '97.[xx(] Actually, the heat by itself wasn't that bad even tho the temps were 105 or better. What was tough was that I had a danged infection going on in one lower leg and THAT was not helped by the air temperature. What I did tho, was buy a spray bottle at a truck stop and I'd spray my leg with water every few minutes. Really helped!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

My worst experience was driving my Transtar across Arizona in June of '97.[xx(] Actually, the heat by itself wasn't that bad even tho the temps were 105 or better. What was tough was that I had a danged infection going on in one lower leg and THAT was not helped by the air temperature. What I did tho, was buy a spray bottle at a truck stop and I'd spray my leg with water every few minutes. Really helped!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X