Trying to decide on a weeds car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide on a weeds car

I have the chance to buy a '62 four-door sedan with the OHV six and OD three speed manual for $200. Thing is, it's been sitting outside on unpaved earth for about 10 years here in the Pacific Northwest.

Would like to post some pics, but I see my old Photobucket account now requires $ to work. No thanks. Can someone rectummend a freebie photo hosting site so I can hang some here for input? Thanks!

Tom, why not do as I and many others do, let the Forum Host them, by loading them on your "C" Drive and downloading them to this Website?

Hey, will we see you at the Big SDC Northwest Zone Meet in Bellingham on the 5th. to 7th of July, sponsored by the Whatcom County SDC Chapter?

It's coming up SOON!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For heaven's sake... nice to know, Rich! Thanks!
      I went to see this car today and though it looks rough, it's mostly there with the exception of a broken windshield, hood hinge, tail light and some dents that are poundable.
      From what I could see of the frame, it had the rust I expected to see - but overall nothing that couldn't be wire brushed, neutralized and painted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190626_182014_2787.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1728576

Name:	Resized_20190626_182001_743.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1728575

Name:	Resized_20190626_182030_5438.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1728574

Think it might be worth a UHaul trailer rental and $200? Be honest! :-) Thanks

Comment

FWIW, sellers of the engine and transmission often ask more than the $200.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I'm all for saving cars llike this, but really, I can't imagine why someone thinks it's worth that much if they're willing to let it sit out like that. Clearly they don't think it's worth a d%&, unless they just bought the property and the car happened to be there. They should give it to you free and be thankful they didn't have to have to pay someone to take it away.

But if you're really interested $200 is certainly not a ton of money.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Heck yeah, Tom! There's way more than $200 in salvageable parts alone just in the pictures, but it might even be restorable, especially at that price. Do you know about the engine? Is it free?
            Mike Davis
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Really? I'm having trouble finding $200 worth of anything on that one. There's a good chance the cylinder head is warped or cracked. The rust underneath is sure to be eating through the frame, let alone the floors. And how much money on top of the $200 do you plan to sink into this to get it running? Windshield cracked? side glass all good? window cranks all working? gauges all working? tires? brakes? brake hoses? wiring? radiator? hoses? clamps? oil? trans? shock absorbers? bushings? bearings?
              And when you're done with all that, how much value is there in the car? Without body work, rust repair, upholstery, chrome, stainless, radio, carpet, etc... You'll end up with a $900 car.
              Please do the math.
              There's nothing more expensive than a cheap 62 4 door Lark.
              sals54

Comment

I was just going to answer you with a NO, but I will also second what SALS54 posted.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Two hundred bucks is about double the scrap value. But if you had a place to part it out, you could make it back on parts, I guess. The long-tail overdrive transmission should fetch a C-note, and maybe more for the engine if you can get it to run on all six cylinders. You can assume the brakes are all shot. I have a '63 here at my place which will run and drive, if I air up the tires, and put a battery in it.If you buy it, and decide to fix it up, keep me in mind. I have a frame, and numerous body parts, and numerous mechanical parts. Even a decent windshield, I think.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Tom,
                    I think you can still get a free Photobucket account. They are asking you to sign in to the 'new' Photobucket. I just did that a couple days ago and now all my pics are back!
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Tom,

Reminds me of Ted's cars. As bad as some of them were, some were still better then what I'm seeing here.

I hope I'm not over thinking this, but I think Tom is looking for another project to save. I don't see him looking at this as a parts car. IMO if you wait a couple of months I think that you will find a more worthy candidate.

Bill

Comment

If it were me, I’d be all over that.
                        Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

The '62 Lark four door, six cylinder, three speed that I'm trying to get a look at here on the east coast is about the same money (+/-). It looks a little better in the pics I've seen and I intend to buy it if the seller and I can ever get our schedules to work out and the weather will cooperate long enough.
                          thom

Comment

Around here car bodies are bringing $65 a ton. Personally,I can't see where it's worth the time it takes to get it and the time it takes to part it out for $200.
                            Low ROI.
                            Will the car roll? Most times brakes are rusted up.
                            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I have a 62 four door, that could benefit from some of the parts. If it were a little closer, I would pick it up for parts. As Jack mentioned, trans, bell housing, and rear diff have some value.
                              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X