V8 Truck Oil Pump Pick-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: V8 Truck Oil Pump Pick-Up

I am building a windage tray to fit a V8 truck oil pan. It will mimic the pan I have posted on the racing site. I noticed that the truck pan does not fit on my V8 mock up dummy as the oil pickup is too long. Even though the pan is a higher volume it is slightly shallower with a longer deep end it seems. Is the truck pan pick-up indeed shorter? Does it depend on the series of the truck? Need some accurate input here.

JK

Jon,
    I posted your question over on the Stude truck forum, too. The more eyes the better!

Question:  It the Stude V8 oil pump pickup a different length than the car pickup? JK is building a special pan for the upcoming Hot Rod Magazine Eng
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well...in humble admission...I am woefully ignorant in "performance" technology and competition engine building. So, I have only read and followed posts regarding this project with arms length casual interest. Sorry. But, I did go to the effort to visit the competition website and attempt to gain a little insight. Mostly, I have concluded that you really need to follow their rules, do it their way, and if anything goes wrong...it's YOUR FAULT, and the officials are not liable for anything, and if they are...you agree that they are not!

So...I'm still pretty danged ignorant about such engine building and competition.

But, my question regarding this "TRUCK OIL PAN"...WHY? I once had an industrial account of a manufacturer of fuel injector nozzles? They had dynamos running tests almost constantly and the tests (to my ignorant mind/ears) often appeared brutal. But, why the extra size oil pan for this dyno test? I understand the larger oil capacity, but are you building in additional oil flow, or some other performance that might offer a measurable benefit? Are the oil circuits enlarged, or pump performance increased to require a larger sump? My question is mainly from curiosity. Even if it reveals my embarrassing lack of expertise.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good points.. Here's the 'why'...

This is for the Engine Masters Studebaker Power team entry.
        The reason for the choice of pans is that one of horsepower gain through the reduction of parasitic loss.
        If you can reduce rotating friction, then your horsepower level goes up.
        It is easy to just make the displacement bigger to gain HP, but that is where class rules come into play.

The rulebook states no oil pan modifications to the outer shell.
        Why?
        Because smart engine builders were making oil pans that were 24"+ deep.
        The oil would be flung off the crankshaft and fall way Way WAY down into the deep sump.
        So they put in the stock shape for oil pans rule.

That just puts our horsepower quest into finding and using a 'stock' pan that is deep both front and rear.
        The shallow front/deep rear pans are a compromise from the OE due to chassis components (center steering).
        Since this is a dyno only engine, all we want is to get the oil away from the spinning crankshaft as fast as possible.
        The pan we found (we 'think' it is a '55 oil pan) looks to have the right shape to accomplish our goal.
        But.. (There's always a 'but'..)
        JK found out there is a slight interference issue with the oil pump pickup tube.
        Once we solve that we should be able to proceed to the next step.

I threw all this out on the forum hoping some smart (smarter than me) people would be able to provide some info, or some solutions. So, apologies for the cross posting, but it is all in our quest to perform at a top level in the 2019 Hot Rod Magazine Engine Masters Challenge event this October in Ohio.

Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Not sure if this is the answer, but I believe the 1955 V8 oil pump and pickup tube were a one year variant and did not cross fit other years.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
            Not sure if this is the answer, but I believe the 1955 V8 oil pump and pickup tube were a one year variant and did not cross fit other years.
            Even if the "Tube" is different, wouldn't it mount on other engines? I can't imagine that the molds would be redesigned to accommodate the casting for one year only! Looks like the tube and oil pan combination would work on other V8 Studebaker engines?

Really...if they went through all the trouble paying for engineering labor/drawings/hours,and associated expense, it's little wonder the company mismanaged themselves out of vehicle production.
            Surely, even if it was a one year deal, it looks like the combination of a 1955 truck V8 oil pan and pickup tube combination would work!

But...what do I know? I've already confessed to my ignorance in a prior post (and demonstrated it over & over for years)

I have a spare locked up '55 V8 sitting in a bare chassis in a barn. I'll donate it to the cause if anyone wants to come up, fight the wasp & spiders, open it up and see what's there? If the tube is OK you can have it.

Of course, if you plan to stay the night, we'll find you a nearby motel. I can't bear the thought of telling my wife I have invited anyone to come over.
            If she thinks somebody is coming over I have to remodel the house and make it look like we have just moved in.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Great news!
              Jim Pepper stepped up with an answer, and a solution for the Studebaker Power team.
              Onward and upward we go!!!!

Jeff

Comment

John,
                Take it easy there, bud! All we did was ask a question about a part.
                We weren't looking for the reason Studebaker stopped building cars...
                We are making a custom setup trying to use Studebaker stuff.. Because it is good stuff.
                Ever build model cars? They call it kitbashing.
                This is sort of like that... Kitbashing on a 1:1 scale

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Even if the "Tube" is different, wouldn't it mount on other engines? I can't imagine that the molds would be redesigned to accommodate the casting for one year only! Looks like the tube and oil pan combination would work on other V8 Studebaker engines?

Really...if they went through all the trouble paying for engineering labor/drawings/hours,and associated expense, it's little wonder the company mismanaged themselves out of vehicle production.
                Surely, even if it was a one year deal, it looks like the combination of a 1955 truck V8 oil pan and pickup tube combination would work!

But...what do I know? I've already confessed to my ignorance in a prior post (and demonstrated it over & over for years)

I have a spare locked up '55 V8 sitting in a bare chassis in a barn. I'll donate it to the cause if anyone wants to come up, fight the wasp & spiders, open it up and see what's there? If the tube is OK you can have it.

Of course, if you plan to stay the night, we'll find you a nearby motel. I can't bear the thought of telling my wife I have invited anyone to come over.
                If she thinks somebody is coming over I have to remodel the house and make it look like we have just moved in.

Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff...I am taking it easy (probably too easy)...It's just that my ability to bang out letters on a keyboard comes too easy sometimes. I'm not upset or over concerned, just thinking it shouldn't be too difficult to swap components between these engines??? If I was really seriously critical, I would take the time to really get educated about these things so I could comment with a tiny bit of credibility. I wasn't purposely trying to be a "Negative Ned," but now I see how it could be interpreted that way. For now, I'll get off this computer and waddle out to the chicken coop and gather a few eggs.

I'm excited about your project and look forward to following as you guys continue the adventure!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                  X