Entry guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry guard?

I saw this at an antique store, it's made of plaster, the wheel is 17" diameter, it does not say anything on the banner on the back side. The guy said it went near the entry of a building, similar to a lion "entry gaurd" you see regularly. Anybody ever seen one in place, got a pic, or know what it might be worth?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1760712Yea, still don't know why this site turns my pics over. It's the only one that does it.

A reproduction of the wheel that was placed atop the Studebaker Proving Ground brick posts. Originally there were 34 of them located along state route 2 six miles west of South Bend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	proving ground gate email.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1728541Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel042 email.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1728542
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

At first I thought it was a globe fixture hanging from the ceiling.
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Were these originally made of plaster? It appears it might be emameled iron to me.

Comment

Not Plaster or Steel/Metal, a material similar to Plaster that would survive the Outdoor Weather, as the Building Top Wheel Emblems were.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That sort of describes this one. It appears to have an outer shell, of a dense smooth (non porous) plaster like material that is slightly Ivory in color and is filled with a white more plaster of paris like material. It does not appear to have ever been painted, with the possible exception of the small round base at it's bottom. The lower corner of the banner is cut flat, paralell with the horizion, which is obviously incorrect, perhaps it was a reject? The guy said he had three of them but sold two. He's asking $1000 for it.

Comment

Terra Cotta
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Wow, for that kinda money maybe we oughta go into production ourselves?

Comment

Looks just like the one I bought at an online auction about 2 years ago -- think it was about $200

Comment

Working...
                  X