Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

latest suggestion for Firewall Reservoir for Turner Dual-Master-Cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: latest suggestion for Firewall Reservoir for Turner Dual-Master-Cylinder?

Hi,
    I'm just getting around to installing my Turner dual Master-Cylinder (under floor, 57 Golden Hawk) on my naked chassis. Now is the time to do modifications! I've tried searching the Forum, for suggestions for firewall reservoirs but find mostly broken (old) links. I plan to follow Jim's recommendations of drilling a hole between the chambers inside, and then only one hole in the exterior, and running a line up to the firewall. So the question is what the latest and "best" suggestions are for a reservoir and where/how to mount. Never done brake work before except changing pads and rotors on my modern cars, so appreciate any advice. Also, I've PM'd Jim too, but do you know if I need the adjustment/tuning valve since I'm keeping all four DRUM brakes? And if so, where does it go, front or rear line? (I know I DO need the 10# restrictors in both front and rear lines.....). THanks!
    Barry

One, Turner does not make reservoirs..! Most of what he recommends are Corvette, short reservoir style to clear the floor.

Two, Wilwood makes both small bottles for a "dual" system, or they also sell a larger single. They have heavy mounting flanges to mount them to your firewall or fender well. You can use either bottle for what you are doing. Plumb one of each small bottle into the two sides of your master cylinder, or use the larger single and split the line to serve both sides of the cylinder.
    I've done it both ways.

I'd just leave everything under the floor. Make a larger opening in the floor, make a larger door..! Keep the engine bay clean.

Mike

Comment

No you do not need a proportioning valve if staying with the drum brakes ( you don't always need it with disks either). If you use a master cylinder meant for drum brakes you also will not need a residual valve either, it will already be built into the master cylinder. If using a master meant for front disks you only need it in the front line.

Comment

As far as your firewall reservoir goes, here’s an idea to keep the firewall looking stock (to the untrained eye...). Get an old firewall mounted single brake master cylinder. Gut it, and tap threads into the rear of it, and screw in a plug. Then just mount it on the firewall and run the line down to your modified new lid, and, Voila!
        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
        1951 Champion Business Coupe
        1951 Commander Starlight
        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
        1953 Champion Starlight
        1953 Commander Starliner
        1953 2R5
        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
        1959 Silver Hawk
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
        1965 Cruiser
        1970 Avanti

Comment

I got a small plastic brake or clutch reservoir from some *** "car" from the junk yard and ran the line down under my car. It is small enough that you should be able to hide it if you want. -Jim

Comment

Did you contact Jim Turner?
            Truth is, he is now going to supply a reproduction of the Stude OE firewall reservoir.
            Last time I spoke with Jim I do believe he had a prototype in hand.
            I would suggest calling Jim Turner for the latest factual update.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
              As far as your firewall reservoir goes, here’s an idea to keep the firewall looking stock (to the untrained eye...). Get an old firewall mounted single brake master cylinder. Gut it, and tap threads into the rear of it, and screw in a plug. Then just mount it on the firewall and run the line down to your modified new lid, and, Voila!
              Neat idea!

Comment

I talked to Jim about his reproduction remote reservoir about a month ago. At that time is was not ready to go yet. I used a wilwood small aluminum with bracket on my 61 Hawk. I mounted it on the fire wall just to the left of the battery. Wilwood also sells a red rubber 1/4" hose that can stand up to brake fluid. I used that to connect the reservoir to the fitting in the side of the M/C.
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  No you do not need a proportioning valve if staying with the drum brakes ( you don't always need it with disks either). If you use a master cylinder meant for drum brakes you also will not need a residual valve either, it will already be built into the master cylinder. If using a master meant for front disks you only need it in the front line.
                  Thanks; I did write to Jim about the valve and reservoir. I didn't ask about the residual valves, as from the instructions it is pretty clear both those RED 10# valves should go on (I have four-wheel drums), thus I assume the M/C included in the kit has already had the original valves removed. (the instructions are very good, and do not say anything about having to remove them...... I saw instructions in one of the Tech Page articles where someone was removing them, but THEY were buying their own M/C. I've got the one Jim provides in the complete kit...

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                    Hey, that is a good idea! Hopefully I remember by the time I get around to working on the BODY! (struggling to get the chassis done now; working on finalizing all the carb/fuel-pump/supercharger and mounting the Turner M/C, so I can learn how and start flaring brake and gas lines!!!

Comment

Yep, Jeff Rice is correct, I soldered up the first one last weekend. The top half has had the threads machined, the cap for both the reservoir and the original M/C cap has been written for the CNC milling, the mount brackets are 100% done and in Satin Black, once I get the reservoirs all soldered up, they will go out for the Satin Black. I have the original (reproduction) labels, I also tracked down the fittings. Studebaker used a 3/16" brake line from the reservoir to the M/C, I will have a black braided stainless flex hose.
                      Once the caps are done, Dan will start on the M/C tops for both the early and the late dual M/C's that I've been selling. This in among trying to get our house ready to put on the market, it's time to downsize! Most likely, we will be heading to the Carolina coast, we are working with a "few" realtors to find what we want, one of them has a 72 Chevelle with a 396 in it. So, he knows what "I" am looking for. We are "hoping" this will happen by mid September of this year.
                      I have also completed the "Early Car" disk brake kit, for the 1939-1941 Champions with the 4 bolt lug pattern, as well as 1947 Commanders. Although I've been pretty quiet on the forum for a long while, I've been extremely busy trying to make some things happen.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

For another approach to a brake fluid reservoir, see www.1956GoldenHawk.com/Brake_Fluid_Reservoir.PDF
                        and the 56J Only Newsletter 088 for October 2017.
                        Bill L.
                        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                          Yep, Jeff Rice is correct, I soldered up the first one last weekend. The top half has had the threads machined, the cap for both the reservoir and the original M/C cap has been written for the CNC milling, the mount brackets are 100% done and in Satin Black, once I get the reservoirs all soldered up, they will go out for the Satin Black. I have the original (reproduction) labels, I also tracked down the fittings. Studebaker used a 3/16" brake line from the reservoir to the M/C, I will have a black braided stainless flex hose.
                          Once the caps are done, Dan will start on the M/C tops for both the early and the late dual M/C's that I've been selling. This in among trying to get our house ready to put on the market, it's time to downsize! Most likely, we will be heading to the Carolina coast, we are working with a "few" realtors to find what we want, one of them has a 72 Chevelle with a 396 in it. So, he knows what "I" am looking for. We are "hoping" this will happen by mid September of this year.
                          I have also completed the "Early Car" disk brake kit, for the 1939-1941 Champions with the 4 bolt lug pattern, as well as 1947 Commanders. Although I've been pretty quiet on the forum for a long while, I've been extremely busy trying to make some things happen.

Jim
                          Thanks Jim, for all you HAVE done, and continue to do, to encourage and make possible (and more likely) the safety of these cars, their occupants, and anyone "in the way" of a brake system gone bad. Impossible to put a value on your efforts, and they are appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post

Jim
                            Jim,
                            I'm excited you are likely headed to the Carolinas! Do you have a particular area in mind yet?
                            BTW, your kit for my '64 Champ is coming up SOON.
                            Mike Davis
                            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Here is a picture (supplied by Jim Turner) of the prototype of the remote master cylinder reservoir.
                              According to Jim, he has a bunch of the components already made (very high quality, too), and is now working out the component assembly procedures to bring out this product in a finished bolt on condition. Jim said he has the new master cylinder cap (w/hose connection), the line, the fittings, the mount bracket, and the reservoir cap.
                              All will be included in the kit.
                              (that should fit all 50's and 60's Stude OE lower master cyl cars and trucks)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X