Rear end identifiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear end identifiation

any help would be great ,have a rear end out of a 63 cruiser that has a tag 3:54 ok, but it has a nother tag to says 45 , what does that mean ?

3.54 is the ratio of the rear. The additional tag with 45 usually indicates a twin traction rear. To check that, when you remove the filler plug, you should be able to see the housing just inside. Good luck.

Comment

Easier way to tell if it’s got twin traction: with transmission in neutral, just rotate one axle. If the other axle turns the opposite way, it’s NOT twin traction. If the other axle turns the SAME direction, it IS twin traction.
      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
      1951 Champion Business Coupe
      1951 Commander Starlight
      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
      1953 Champion Starlight
      1953 Commander Starliner
      1953 2R5
      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
      1957 Silver Hawk
      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
      1959 Silver Hawk
      1961 Hawk
      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
      1965 Cruiser
      1970 Avanti

Comment

Patrick& kenny thanks for the info i will check it out , i will keep for sure eather way now , if it is a tt for sure dannyo.

Comment

My 58 Transtar V8 Auto had TT and the way I found out was by trying to tow it around a corner. skeeeeeeerrrrrt. WTF?!?! so i jacked it up spun a tire, and Voila the opposite turned the same direction. then pulled the plug and tried to stick a finger all the way in. it hit the carrier. Once I ordered the Sheet from the Museum, it was confirmed the truck was built that way.

Comment

Topic moved: The "Found Online" section of the Sale board is for posting links to items you've found on the Interwebs. Please use Tech Talk for technical questions.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
              Easier way to tell if it’s got twin traction: with transmission in neutral, just rotate one axle. If the other axle turns the opposite way, it’s NOT twin traction. If the other axle turns the SAME direction, it IS twin traction.
              I think you mean, with the transmission IN GEAR.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by dannyo View Post
                any help would be great ,have a rear end out of a 63 cruiser that has a tag 3:54 ok, but it has a nother tag to says 45 , what does that mean ?
                The 45 tag is actually the ramp angle on the TT case and pinion shaft. This applies the load to the clutch pack. This is a Dana Powr-Lok differential. The more torque you apply to the unit, the more clamp load you apply to the clutch pack via a 45° ramp. In fact the angle can provide forces high enough to yield the bolts holding the unit together if the torque is high enough. If you yield the bolts, the two halves start moving from lack of clamp load and eventually you sheer all eight bolts. I've done it twice. Once on the Dana 44 in my Superlark and once on a Dana 60 in my Ford F-250. When I build them now I replace the grade 8 bolts (120,000 PSI) with better fasteners from ARP (180,000 PSI). This raises the yield point and maintains clamp load.
                Last edited by jpepper; 06-14-2019, 04:15 AM. Reason: forgot something
                james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                X