Looking for brother's old car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for brother's old car

I am starting a search for a 61 flamingo hawk my brother owned and had to sell, dont have any info.but I think it went to Washington state, in 64 or 65, I do know 289,4 speed very high geared and the mirrors were mounted European style, way out on the front fenders. Just seeing if anyone in the northwest might have known about the car.

I remember seeing a 61 4-speed Hawk in the Boise Craigslist a few years ago I think it was Flamingo not sure might have been very faded red? It looked like a good project, but I was not in the market for a car at the time so I didn't really give it much thought at the time.

Comment

If you have the VIN for your brother's car, it will make it easier to determine what people are looking for. Unfortunately, even ten years after your brother sold his Hawk, Studebakers were still throw away cars for most people and there is a chance the same happened to the Hawk - however, never say never. Another thing you might try is putting an ad in Turning Wheels - probably less than 5% of Studebaker Drivers Club members are on the forum. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        If you have the VIN for your brother's car, it will make it easier to determine what people are looking for. Unfortunately, even ten years after your brother sold his Hawk, Studebakers were still throw away cars for most people and there is a chance the same happened to the Hawk - however, never say never. Another thing you might try is putting an ad in Turning Wheels - probably less than 5% of Studebaker Drivers Club members are on the forum. Good luck.
        Good suggestions, Patrick.

Jetboat: Patrick (Post #3, above) is right; few SDC members are on the forum.

Your best bet would be to scrounge the family files for anything that might have your brother's car's serial number on it; possibly an old insurance card or registration.

Some day, "we" may go through all the Production Records and determine how many Flamingo 4-speed Hawks were built in 1961. I'd say quite a few, percentage-wise; both the color and 4-speed were unique to 1961. In my years of poking around them, I'm sure I've seen 7 or 8 of them, including one I helped Nelson Bove extract from the deceased original owner's garage north of Indianapolis about eight years ago, a fun day (I think):

Nels during the extraction:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0497.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1728336

Name:	DSCF0464.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1728337

Still has the 4-SPEED streamer:

Name:	DSCF0479.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1728338

'Had to take a 1956 Commander 4-door parts car with the deal.
        (The house was being sold and the Real Estate Agent said, "Get rid of those cars!")

Name:	DSCF0504.jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1728339

Geeze, what a dandy time...well, Nels bought lunch and supper...

If you can locate any identifying numbers, you have one free want-ad per year in Turning Wheels. Use it to try to locate your brother's '61. Best Wishes. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM.
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob; The '61 Hawk 4 speed cars have already been documented by the museum. I believe they also have them by color. Check with Andy.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            Bob; The '61 Hawk 4 speed cars have already been documented by the museum. I believe they also have them by color. Check with Andy.
            Wow, Dick; I didn't know that. Thanks. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              'Had to take a 1956 Commander 4-door parts car with the deal.
              I remember that story. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ll=1&styleid=1

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X