Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive your Studebaker to work, or run errands with it. Dont limit your Studebaker to car shows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive your Studebaker to work, or run errands with it. Dont limit your Studebaker to car shows!

There is something very special about using a classic automobile to occasionally replace the duties of a modern automobile.
    I finally got my 1964 Daytona convertible back on the road (I flushed-out the block, replaced head gaskets, new fuel pump, new water pump, timing cover crank seal, etc.), and it is running and driving great!

Last Saturday I used it to run a bunch of errands (take recyclables to town, pick up parts at the auto supply store, bring in two empty fuel jugs for refueling) and this week I delightfully commuted to my job in it on Wednesday and Thursday (with the top down, the weather is finally warm here).

Such tasks that are usually boring or mundane become enjoyable when driving a Studebaker. Don't limit your Studebaker to car show parking lots, get out and use it like its 1964 again!
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Brent, sure feels good to get 'em back on the road after extensive work, doesn't it.
    just finished up the Lark I got from Bob P. - drove it to work twice this week ( 100 mile round trip). had a blast!
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by jgrohs View Post
      Brent, sure feels good to get 'em back on the road after extensive work, doesn't it.
      just finished up the Lark I got from Bob P. - drove it to work twice this week ( 100 mile round trip). had a blast!
      My car once belonged to Bob Perterson also. 42 mile round trip for me, but I too had a blast. I really like those Studebaker V8s!
      Have you posted any photos of your Lark recently? I would like to see it!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

don't think I have. I'll take some tomorrow to post
        1951 Custom
        1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
        1962 Champ
        1963 Standard R1 4 speed
        1963 Avanti R1
        1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
        2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

The 59 Lark, 2dr. wagon that I recently sold WAS...my daily driver. Powered by a Stude 259 and auto trans.

The 54 2dr. wagon that I'm working on (sorta) will be...my daily driver when it is running. It's currently registered and insured. This one's powered by a 259 Stude engine and a GM (T-200-4R) trans. Many engine modifications.

I put just over 90,000 miles on my 59. It was either my motorcycle or my Lark. Feel free to stop by and ask my neighbors..!

Mike

Comment

I'm so stupidly bullheaded so I only drive old cars that I can, if needed, repair myself, & that I trust because there's no computers in them + the fact that I actually bought my -55 sedan Josephine because I wanted it as a CAR!

Was on a classic car meet the other day with loads of square 60's GM cars & surprised people by telling them that she's not a hobby car; she's a daily driver...

Comment

i recently switched insurance companies to Grundy and they expressly state that the car is not to be used for everyday errands. i don't remember if my previous carrier, JC Taylor had that restriction.
              peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                i recently switched insurance companies to Grundy and they expressly state that the car is not to be used for everyday errands. i don't remember if my previous carrier, JC Taylor had that restriction.
                i think it varies by Insurance Company. I have my truck licensed as a “everyday vehicle”. My car is licensed with Antique plates. The rules are different on how they are licensed. I have State Farm.
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Yes, the degree to which you can use your Stude depends on both your insurance policy and how you have it registered. The DC historic motor vehicle license plate law specifically prohibits their use for anything other than shows, displays, parades, etc. By contrast, neighboring Maryland has a very liberal law that mostly just prohibits the use of historic vehicles for commuting.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I drive my '55 Studebaker truck every day.We have other cars that are insured by Hagerty but we have regular "everyday" insurance on the '55.
                    thom

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have had J.C. Taylor insurance on my Studes for decades. My understanding is that use is restricted to auto related activities like meets, shows, cruise-ins, parades, etc. Also, occasional drives as "maintenance" driving (to exercise the vehicles) is allowed, but not daily commuting.

It has been years since I really sat down and read the policy. I probably need to do a review. I have three other vehicles insured for daily use through State Farm. That's expensive enough without having to add a Studebaker.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I always insured my Studebakers as daily drivers even with antique tags. I frequently drove them to get groceries, run errands, or even to work. That kept everything lubed and charged up for a long drive to a meet or show. Of course - I got lots of chances to talk up the SDC and show off the car. Never failed at the car wash or filling station someone wanted to eyeball them or ask questions. The guys wanted to pop the hood and so forth. Ladies would tell me it was cute, or that they loved my old car. Plenty of thumbs up when in motion, too. There is no downside to driving your Studebaker regularly.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

P.s. -

Forgot to mention -
                          While I'm working on my 54 wagon, and while I did buy my first modern car (Mini Cooper, JCW). The JCW is the factory hot rod with 211 dyno proven H.P.

Anyway, I'm currently driving my "old", primered, rusty, broken/taped passenger door window, 54, with an inline 6, 3spd., 4dr. Stude. I don't drive the little car on short hops, but the Stude goes on ALL short hops around town, almost daily. It's not "safe..." on the freeway...so then I get the little car out.

And yea, as mentioned, as ugly as the 4dr. is, I get thumbs up and asked about it all the time. Mostly by older folks.

Mike

Comment

I see three negatives to this (Drive your Studebaker to work, or run errands with it).
                            1) Most all collector vehicle insurance prohibits this. In the event of an accident, your fault or not, you will be in trouble.
                            2) Historic plates prohibit this, at least in the states that I am familiar with.
                            3) Your car is exposed to damage. Most people no longer care about other's cars. Recently, I mentioned to a lady that she was parked next to a friend's new Maserati. The lady's response was, "It is just a car". Last evening, I ate dinner at a Ruby Tuesday in a Galleria Mall. I was in there about one hour. When I came out, there was no car on the driver's side of mine, but there was a door ding and a scrape in the front fender.
                            Of course you can pay for regular insurance and have regular plates on your Studebaker and take these risks.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I use Geico insurance, and my rates are quite reasonable. North Carolina allows the use of year-of-manufacture plates on cars 35 years old and older, so I have a '64 plate on my Champ.
                              I can't afford to own a truck AND a toy, so Stuey serves both roles. I just added a Pertronix electronic ignition and adjusted the carb, and it's running stronger than ever. Last weekend my wife and I loaded at least a thousand pounds of furniture in the bed and a 12-trailer and drove it 200 miles. It's a truck, and I use it as such. What a blast!
                              If it breaks or gets dinged, I fix it. Drive them and enjoy them!
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190608_193302.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1728311
                              Mike Davis
                              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                              X